Chapter 43 (A Red Dinner)

"This one or this one?" Sapphire asked Kaylyn, holding up two dresses in both hands.

    One was a pretty little royal blue with cream frills at the end and sleeves with a band at the waist. Meanwhile, the other was a soft yellow with the same design.

Kaylyn pretended to be in deep thought but knew her mind was already made up with just a glimpse at the two options.

       "I like the blue one," she finally said.

Sapphire smiled. "Me too!"

Kaylyn smiled, rummaging through her things for a dress herself. The weekend had arrived, which meant it was time for the dinner they all had anticipated. Kaylyn awaited the moment when she would sit, eat and talk, in the company of those she loved most.

She smiled when she came upon on a light green maternal dress Faith had bought for her some weeks ago.

   "It would go well with your fiery red hair," she had said and of course, after trying it, Kaylyn had found that she was right.

     "Ooo, that's a pretty dress," Sapphire beamed, halting Kaylyn from her thoughts.

     "I'm glad you like it. I plan on wearing it tonight," she informed cheerfully.

         "yay! We'll both look pretty," she grinned.

        "We definitely will."

#

Patrick glanced at himself in the mirror, displeased with ashen colour in his face. His eyes seemed deep with dark circles and his hair thinned out more by the day. He coughed as he reached for the lip balm and patted his lips to treat the dryness. Lately he had found that a little makeup could return his original colour and hide a few dark circles.

He knew it was wrong of him to create an illusion that everything was fine, when they clearly weren't, but he couldn't allow his daughter to be saddened by his situation. The joy was back in her eyes, she was happy given her circumstances and Patrick knew he could never take that away from her...again.

      He didn't think he'd live to see the baby before the delivery. He knew he wouldn't. He knew two months was a long time for him to continue living and although it twisted his heart to know that he wouldn't see his grandchild, he knew someday he would.

    Patrick took a seat on the bed, not being able to stand for so long. He was so weak. His phone began to rang, and unhesitatingly he pulled it from his pocket.

Lilith's number popped up on the screen. Patrick sighed.

         "Hello," he answered.

   .     "So, you've now forgotten me?" She asked dryly.

         "Lilith," he began tiringly. "You've already made it clear that you don't want to be apart of Kaylyn's life."

        "I didn't say I didn't want to be a part of yours," she pointed out firmly.

         "It means the same thing to me Lilith. I want the time I have left with my daughter," he expelled softly.

        "The time you have left - Patrick what are you talking about?" she demanded.

Patrick briefly closed his eyes. "I called you few months back to tell you I was dying and you shrugged me off like an old shoe. I then realized, Lilith that you only have love for yourself and power," he snarled bitterly.

A small silence followed, Patrick continued.

      "I have spent some time with my daughter and surprisingly, I realized that for quite some time I had forgotten what happiness was until I saw her again," he chuckled.