Chapter 25 (Ultrasound)

"Bleeding can be normal during pregnancy, but I'm going to do an ultrasound to ensure that it isn't anything more serious," the doctor informed as Kaylyn sat on the bed, sobbing.

Matthew's face was flushed with concern as he stood there, trying to process the words the doctor was telling them. His body still had not recovered from the shock of seeing Kaylyn looking as she did earlier- hearing the words that had left her mouth. He had driven at bullet speed, taking all the chances he could to get Kaylyn to the hospital.

Her cries, coupled with Sapphire's had almost driven him to insanity. He had wanted to stop the moving vehicle and comfort them, but he knew he couldn't.

     Now watching her, still crying Matthew was finding it hard to hold back his own tears. He was fearful for Kaylyn as well as the baby. Now, he wasn't even sure there was one. He swallowed hard, trying to fight the heaviness of impending tears that rested on his throat. One arm was folded tightly across his chest as he pressed his fist to his mouth anxiously.

     His phone rang and Matthew almost jumped at the sound. Scratching his head, he contemplated on whether or not he should take the call but when he saw that it was Liz, he immediately answered.

      Turning to one corner of the room, he spoke. "Hey Liz,' he sounded frail, and so he cleared his throat. He had called Liz earlier to keep an eye on Sapphire while he attended to Kaylyn.

"Hey, I'm here at the hospital. Where is Sapphire?" she asked.

    "I'll be out to talk to you," he said, disconnecting the call.

Turning to take a look at Kaylyn who was getting ready for the examination, he quickly excused himself and left the room.

He found Liz wandering in the passage. "Hey!" he called and she turned, walking briskly to him.

     "I left Sapphire with a nurse at the front. She must still be crying. Please calm her," he pleaded, saddened by the fact that he couldn't do it himself.

Liz nodded and placed a hand on Matthew's shoulder sympathetically.     "How's Kaylyn?" she asked.

Matthew exhaled heavily. "She's getting ready for an ultrasound to determine the baby's state. I- I..." he trailed off, unable to finish, as he placed his fist to his mouth, briefly closing his eyes in an effort to compose himself.

Liz gently massaged his shoulder. "Everything will be fine Matthew. You need to have faith that God will work on your behalf," she consoled and a tear slipped from Matthew's eyes.

He quickly brushed it off and raked his hand through his hair. "Yeah...I better get back inside. Tell Sapphire daddy loves her," he exclaimed and Liz nodded, managing a sad smile. After Liz left him, he leaned his head against the wall, palms on the surface as he tightly closed his eyes.

Sighing heavily, Matthew quickly sauntered into the room where he found the doctor placing a gel on Kaylyn's slightly rounded tummy. He gulped, nervously walking towards the bed. Kaylyn had stopped crying but the tear streaks were still visible on her flushed face.

She turned to glance at him, and her lips trembled suddenly. Matthew stood beside her, wanting so much to comfort her, but he didnt exactly know how. He had no experience towards the kind of emotion he was feeling. It was new to him at this stage and he didn't know how to react to it.

      "This can be a very minor problem, so don't be too hard on yourselves," the Doctor smiled at Matthew, seeing how tensed he was.

As the Doctor reached for the ultrasound transducer to spread the gel so they would be able to see what was going on, Matthew couldn't help gripping Kaylyn's hand. He gently squeezed it in reassurance, managing a stiff smile as Kaylyn looked up at him.

She folded her lips and focused her gaze at the monitor as the doctor began to spread the gel in a circular motion, using the transducer. A little moving figure appeared on the screen and the doctor turned and smiled at them both.

       "That's the baby right there," he provided, allowing the parents to revel in the satisfaction of the life they had created, before he continued.

A sob broke out from Kaylyn's lips, but she quickly used her hand to cover her mouth, failing to believe that she actually carried a life within her. The feeling she experienced was bittersweet, but she smiled nonetheless.

Matthew managed a shaky laugh. "So he's OK?" he asked, swallowing the lump in his throat, and feeling the slight wave of relief that consumed him.

      "He or she still has life if that's what you mean. I'll examine further to see if all is well," he stated, still examining the screen as his hands moved the device along Kaylyn's stomach.

Kaylyn couldn't keep her eyes off the monitor, she was too overwhelmed to do anything else, but that.

     "This is the head," the doctor said, pointing to one particular area on the screen. "The heartbeat is strong," he trailed off and sighed. But..."

Matthew stiffened at the sudden change in his tone. "But? But what?" he eagerly asked, his moment of joy dissipating by a tad.

     "Miss Fisher's placenta is attaching too low in her uterus..."

         "What does that even mean?!" Matthew exclaimed in frustration.

     "The placenta is where the baby gets it's nutrients from through the umbilical cord, but Miss Fisher's placenta is partially covering her uterus. This complication is called placenta Previa," he explained in a levelled tone.

       "Complication?" Matthew paled, feeling the trembling of Kaylyn's hand and knew she was crying. He couldn't look down on her. He simply couldn't.

The doctor began to wipe the gel from her stomach. "The placenta might migrate throughout the duration of the pregnancy, so you may not have anything to-"

    "What if it doesn't?" Matthew cut in sharply.

     "Both mother and child will be at risk. After five months in the pregnancy you'll have to pay me another visit to know if the placenta has moved, but if not, serious complications may arise," he provided.

Matthew raked his hand through his hair, unable to believe that this was happening. Something so similar to what he had experienced in the past.

      "There is no surety that everything will be fine during or after giving birth," the Doctor continued.

Kaylyn laid there sobbing as she was too befuddled by the news to even form words. She felt like a part of her was being torn out and she couldn't do anything to ease the pain. She wanted her baby. She wanted someone to love her and she wanted someone to call her own. Though the baby had been nothing short of a surprise, everyday had made her realise that she needed it more than anything else. She had been excited, but now, like the many things she had to go through in life, this was another trial.

Matthew, on the other hand couldn't help feeling dreadful. He was confused and his heart was breaking. The doctor was telling them in pretty terms that either Kaylyn or the baby could die during birth. He knew he couldn't lose Kaylyn, and he didn't want to lose his child either, but he had to make a choice...no matter how hard.

      "Is an abortion advised at this time?" he asked and although saying the words ripped apart his heart, he knew it had to be said.

__________________________________

(O_O) don't kill me. Cliffhanger again...I know! However, I will update another chapter in a day or two.

Do you guys agree with Matthew or nah?

Did you guys feel sad? :( I know I felt sad writing it.

Thank you ALL who have read this book, and is enjoying!! I really appreciate your support, which by the way, gained me #72 spot on the hotlist!!!! Yaaay! I so love you guys, like literally!! *blows kisses*

Until next time...
Laters baby
Xoxo
Juju