chapter 6

"Cherry's gone bad," Patch frowned, then looked around. "Uh, where's Darla?"

"I'm over here, how'd you all get so big and how'd I get so small?" Darla's voice asked.

"I'm afraid to look down." Atticus said.

"Darla...?" Patch asked, then looked down to see a blue-eyed green frog with a purple bow on its head.

"What happened?" Darla asked.

"Darla, he turned you into a frog." Atticus said once he looked down as well.

"What?" Darla asked.

Atticus took out a mirror for her to see for herself.

"I'm A FROG?!" Darla screeched.

"Okay, first, why did he transform her into a frog and second, why did he need a sample of her blood?" Patch asked Atticus.

"I don't know." Atticus said.

'You don't know?!" Darla asked. "You know everything!"

"I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you guys..." Atticus frowned. "It can't be good though especially since he took my best friend!" he then looked angry.

"Atticus, don't worry, we will get her back." Patch said.

"I really hope so..." Atticus sighed, he then bent down and picked up Darla in his hands. "You can't go to the party looking like this..."

"So what are we going to do?" Darla asked.

"I'm sorry, Darla, but you'll have to stay like this until we find out what to do with you, let's just get to the party, we'll think of something later." Atticus said.

"Okay, Atticus..." Darla sighed. "I was hoping to be a princess like my grandmother."

"Wait, Atticus, don't you know a spell that can turn any animal into a human?" Patch asked.

"I suppose I could try that..." Atticus said as he took out his spell book and he then found the spell. "Aha!" he then recited the spell.

Darla squeezed her eyes shut as she waited for the magic to turn her back into a human, but surprisingly, it did not work. "Well? Did it work?" she asked.

"Uhh..." Patch and Atticus hesitated.

"Oh, no... It didn't work." Darla frowned.

"That's impossible..." Atticus frowned as well.

"That Shadow Man must have worse magic than your own..." Patch suggested.

"I'm sorry, Darla..." Atticus sighed. "Let's just get to the party."

"Fine." Darla frowned.

"It'll get better..." Atticus promised.

"I don't know about me being a frog getting better..." Darla sighed.

Atticus and Patch looked to each other, unsure of what else to do since they couldn't change Darla back into a human.

"We'll have to figure it out later.* Darla said.

It was getting dark as the costume party was starting.

"Patch, can you do me a favor?" Darla asked.

"Yes, Darla?" Patch smiled to her.

"Could you go to the party as me?" Darla smiled.

"What?!" Patch asked. "Are you nuts?!"

"Please Patch..." Darla pleaded. "I promised Charlotte I would be there and I'd hate to disappoint her..."

Patch grumbled before he gave in and used his magic to me himself look like Darla.