chapter 4

"Can't wait to see the restaurant, I bet it's going to be amazing." Atticus smiled.

"I've been waiting for this for a really long time." Tiana smiled to her new friends as she led the way with her money ready to give to pay for her dream restaurant.

"Those beginets were really good..." Darla smiled. "Had to be the best thing I've ever tasted."

"They should be the restaurants special dish." Atticus smiled.

Patch barked, agreeing with Atticus.

"I'll see what I can do." Tiana giggled. "Okay, give me just one moment." she then said as they came in front of an old and abandoned sugar mill that was owned by the Fenner Brothers and she had to go speak with the men about buying the place so she could have her own cooking business.

"This is the restaurant that she's going to own soon?" Patch asked.

"Looks like it..." Atticus said.

"An old sugar mill?" Darla nearly rolled her eyes. "Well, I guess it'll look better once she pays the guys."

Eventually, Tiana came back outside with a very tall and thin man with a very short and fat man so they could remove their sign.

"Everything looks peachy-keen, Mr. Fenner," Tiana said as the brothers lifted the sign and went off to dispose of it. "And Mr. Fenner..."

"We'll have all the paperwork ready to sign, first thing after Mardi Gras." the thin Mr. Fenner told her as the future restaurant owner was on her way inside.

"After?" Patch whispered. "Why don't they just sign the papers at the masquerade ball?"

"It's the biggest night of the year, everybody's too busy celebrating." Cherry said to the puppy.

"Ohh." Patch said.

Tiana walked back over to them. "I got them to sign at the ball."

"Oh, that was convenient." Patch whispered.

Tiana smiled as she felt like her dreams were coming true.

"Table for one, please." a familiar female voice to Tiana said.

"Who said that?" Darla asked.

"Oh, Mama!" Tiana turned and noticed an older woman with graying hair coming over with a pot wrapped in a red ribbon.

"Here's a little something to help you get started." Eudora lifted up the pot with a warm smile.

"Oh, Daddy's gumbo pot." Tiana put a hand over her heart with a smile. She then went over and hugged Eudora tightly.

"I know," Eudora patted her grown daughter's back and broke out of the hug gently. "I miss him, too."

Tiana sniffled and wiped an eye as she was remembering her father.

"Isn't her father coming too?" Darla asked.

"I'm afraid James can't be here, dear..." Eudora said softly. "Don't worry about him though, he's in a much better place right now."

"D-Do you mean he's...?" Darla asked, looking up into the sky.

"Yes, I'm afraid my daddy won't be in person to see this moment..." Tiana said softly.

"He must have been a great man and a great father." Atticus said.

"He sure was..." Tiana took a shallow breath.

"Well, now," Eudora changed the subject. "Hurry up and open the door!"

"Just look at it, Mom," Tiana opened the doors and showed what looked like a large, abandoned shack and birds scattered from the broken roof top. "Doesn't it just wanna make you cry?"

Eudora took a look and lowly replied so she wouldn't hurt her daughter's feelings. "Yes..."

"What do you guys think?" Tiana asked the kids and puppy.

"Um, well, it sure looks like it could use some sprucing up." Atticus said.

"The matrie'd is going to be right where you're standing," Tiana started planning as she took off her jacket and hat, going by a broom where the stairs were. "Oh! And over here, a gourmet kitchen! And hanging from the ceiling, a big, old, crystal chandelier!"

"You're your daddy's daughter alright," Eudora chuckled, walking over. "He used to go on and on about this old sugar mill too. Babycakes, I'm sure this place is going to be just wonderful, but it's a shame you're working so hard."

"But how can I let up now when I'm so close?" Tiana asked as she started sweeping. "I gotta make sure all Daddy's hard work means something."

"But he did have love and that's more important." Patch smiled.

Cherry, Atticus, and Darla smiled softly to this.

"Tiana," Eudora set the gumbo pot down on a dusty, old stool. "Your Daddy might not have gotten the place he always wanted, but he had something better. He had love." she then stroked her daughter's face with her hand. "And that's all I want for you, sweetheart, meet your Prince Charming and dance off into your happily ever after."

"Mama, I don't have time for dancing!" Tiana chuckled as she was about to sing. "That's just gonna have to wait a while~..."

"How long we talkin' about here?" Eudora asked.

"Ain't got time for messin' around..." Tiana said as she continued. "And it's not my style."

"I want some grandkids!" Eudora put her hands on her hips as she sat at one of the tables.

"Yeah, I don't think she can possibly wait forever." Darla added in.

Tiana was still determined to work hard so she could get what she wanted and she insisted that she was almost there.

"Maybe we can help out." Atticus said.

"I just don't want the poor dear to work herself to death." Eudora whispered.

"She won't, we assure you." Atticus assured her.

They all started to clean up and at least get rid of the clutter and debris from the mess that came with the sugar mill that would become Tiana's place in the near future.

"How come no one has ever cleaned this place?" Darla asked.

"It's been abandoned for a long time," Eudora explained. "Tiana's father wanted to buy it, but we could never afford it."

"Oh, my..." Darla frowned.

Patch even surprised Eudora and Tiana as he lent a helping hand, well, technically, helping paw as they were going to turn this old mill into a diner where people were going to come from everywhere. There was a lot to be done with the mill, but for right now, it just needed to be cleaning and there would be more work to do later, they still had a ball to go to by tonight. So far, Darla was bouncy and well, no longer feeling sick, but it was still early...

"Let's get ready for the ball!" Darla smiled.

"Come on then." Tiana agreed as she shut the door of her new property.

"So... Umm... What exactly is a masquerade ball?" Darla asked.

"It's a big party where you dress up as anything or anybody you want," Cherry explained. "Like a Halloween party."

"Awesome!" Darla smiled.

"I already know who I'm going as." Atticus smiled as well.

"I wanna dress up too!" Patch jumped up and down in excitement. "This party sounds awesome!"

"Did Patch just talk?" Tiana asked over hearing the dalmatian's excitement.

"Maybe." Cherry said with a small blink.

"Uh, anyway, let's get our costumes!" Darla changed the subject.

"Yeah." Atticus nodded.

"But where?" Cherry asked.

"Good question." Atticus said.