Part 18

The first morning of term had started and I was alone in the girl’s dormitory glaring into the mirror. It didn’t seem possible that my stomach had doubled in size over night but it had. I couldn’t see my feet anymore, I couldn’t bend over to put my socks on let alone tie my own shoe laces and it was incredibly frustrating. On top of all that, the baby’s favourite position seemed to be either using my bladder as a pillow or as a punch bag; either way, I was desperate for the toilet every five minutes.

“Lilly, are you coming down for breakfast?” Ginny popped her head around the door “Fred and the others are waiting for you.”

I looked around at her and sighed “yeah, once I figure out how to get my socks on, I’ll be right down.”

Ginny chuckled as she let herself in “sit down on your bed.” I sat down and watched as she took my socks and slid one onto each foot. “You know, without sounding mean, are you quite sure that you’re not having twins?” She asked as she tied my laces “it wouldn’t be a surprise considering as it runs in both of our families.”

“I’ve been wondering that” I admitted “but the matron is positive that there’s only one in there, either way, I am just about ready to wet myself.”

We made our way down to the common room to find Harry, Ron, Hermione, Fred, George and Lee Jordan waiting by the portrait hole. “Finally!” Ron sighed impatiently “we were about to send up a search party!”

“Stop moaning, Ron” Ginny told him “we’re here now.”

Breakfast was a quiet, yet awkward, affair. No one had bothered Fred or myself about the whole baby thing but that didn’t stop people staring at me and whispering behind their hands. I thought that I’d get used to it or maybe it would all die down after the New Year but it hadn’t and I hadn’t. It still made me feel self-conscious, a spectacle of unwanted attention and I hated it no matter how hard I tried to ignore it.

“I’ll meet you outside here in an hour” Fred told me as we reached my classroom. I had Defence against the dark arts first with Umbridge and halfway through it, I had to go up to the hospital wing for a quick check up.

“Sure though I don’t think that Umbridge will be happy about me having to leave early” I replied.

“Well, she can shove it. Maybe Harry will have another fight with her or something.”

“Don’t encourage him!” I snapped as Harry laughed and nodded “she’ll ban him from Quidditch if he’s not careful!”

“Ok” he wiped the grin from his face and turned to stare at Harry. “Potter, you need to behave; unless Umbridge gives you crap then I am allowing you to curse her into next week. Is that understood?”

I rolled my eyes and walked into the room leaving them in fits of giggles out in the corridor.

“Professor?” Ten minutes before I was due to go to the hospital wing, I walked nervously up to Umbridge, who was sitting at her desk watching everyone write out a new chapter of her book. She really is a funny looking woman. Small, fat and I swear that one of her parents is a frog or something.