Part 15

Christmas came around far quicker than I expected; I’d been stupidly busy with school work and visiting the hospital wing every couple of weeks but, it’s nice to admit, that I was no longer quite as stressed as I had been before everyone knew. McGonagall had worked her magic and kept her promise; no one bothered me or Fred on the baby matter even if we did get stares every time we walked down the corridor together. I was coming on five months and was showing a bit more than I thought I would and it was exhausting heaving around the extra weight. Fred was being great though, carrying my school stuff when he could and ordering Ron or Harry to do it when he wasn’t around.

Everything was going smoothly, even with Umbridge as our defence professor; the DA was doing really well too, Harry was showing everything and helping us, including Neville, to perfect our spells. Umbridge had tried her best to shut us down; somehow she’d found out about the first meeting in the Hogshead and banned all clubs and if people wanted to reform they had to go to her and ask for permission; that didn’t last very long.

On the downside to everything, I was no longer allowed to play Quidditch…due to my condition so I had to spectate, like everybody else. I missed it but it was nice to spent that little bit of extra time with Hermione who had begun knitting me baby clothes; she’d already completed two sets of booties and a hat which actually looked like they should rather than squashy tea cosies like they did last year.

Hermione woke me up a couple of days before the Christmas holidays with some unexpected news. Apparently, during the night, Mr Weasley had been attacked and was now critically ill in St Mungo’s hospital; she told me that Harry had seen it in a dream and that when they checked it out, he was right so all of the Weasley’s and Harry were now at Grimmauld place. “We’ll join them when the holidays officially start” she told me looking pale with worry “but until then we have to sit tight. He made it through the night so that’s good.”

“Do you know who attacked Mr Weasley?” I asked feeling a bit sick.

“According to McGonagall, Harry said that it was a big snake so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Voldemort’s but she wouldn’t tell me anymore.”

“It’s just weird” I sighed as I leant back into my pillows with my hands on my stomach “how did Harry see it?”

Hermione frowned but shrugged “it was a dream, probably just coincidence but either way he needs to be careful.”

“I bet Umbridge wasn’t happy” I smiled “five students leaving school before the end of term right under her nose.”

Hermione frowned “Dumbledore needs to be careful too” she sniffed “he shouldn’t be annoying the ministry; he’s in enough trouble as it is.”

“Oh come on; Dumbledore is a smart guy. He knows what he’s doing.” Hermione just pursed her lips and said nothing more on the subject.

Defence against the dark arts was just as painful as usual; no magic and only quills and parchment were allowed; Hermione and I were left alone until the end of the lesson when Umbridge asked us to stay behind.

“Probably wants to know where Harry and Ron are” I muttered as we packed away our stuff and headed to the front of the class.

I was proved right. She even offered us a drink which we both had sense to refuse; dad had told me to never accept a drink from Umbridge, he wouldn’t tell me why but I trusted him. She basically just questioned us on the whereabouts of the Weasleys and Harry and when she couldn’t get anything out of us pulled a big paddy before letting us leave. She kept a beady eye on both of us until we finally left Hogwarts.

It was nice to finally be out; I love Hogwarts but, right now, with Umbridge there trying to ruin everything it just isn’t the same. I’d spoken to dad and he agreed to let me stay at Grimmauld place for Christmas as long as I returned home for Christmas day so Hermione and I made our way into Hogsmead where we caught the knight bus. We arrived at Grimmauld place just before lunch time and let ourselves in.