Trusting

Then:

On Weeknights when I worked Tom would usually stop in after his classes. Sometimes He'd find a seat at the bar in front of me and talk to me all shift so that I wouldn't be bored. And other times he'd sit in a booth and cram in some study time or rehearse his lines.

Tonight was one of the nights he was in a booth. As concentrated he was on his work I still made my way over to his booth frequently. He never minded and I was bored. Mr. Harrison, my only nightly regular, was tended to already and I had nothing else to clean, pour or fold.

"Need anything over here sir?" I wiped off tops table with a cloth.

"A shot of whiskey." He looked up from his script. Rubbing his temples. "And maybe a kiss."

"That bad?" I frowned.

"I'm just not sure about the script. I don't know. Is it too boring?" He shook his head.

I pretended to write an order down as I listened. Not that Mr. Harrison would care if he knew I wasn't doing my job. Couldn't be too careful. With my luck, my manager will actually come out now of all times.

There was now only six days until Toms college showcase and he had been rehearsing and perfecting his one man act all month. It was crazy how much he put into his performance.

He had written the script with a few friends from school, created the choreography (all of the movements in the performance. From hand gestures to fake tears) by himself. And he had stressed over and over about how everyone would like it come showcase night. He had barely slept the past couple weeks.

I wanted to help him the best I could but It's hard to help someone when they barely include you in on anything.

The only thing Tom let me help him with was rehearsing. Making sure he memorized the lines without the script. He didn't want to show me the choreography because he wanted me to be just as surprised as everyone else on the big night.

Based on the script, I could tell it was going to be a good show. The man in it (The one Tom plays) is married. The play is basically him telling the audience of how strong their love is. The script is truly beautiful. Shakespeare would be proud.

The only thing I could say to ease his mind was that the script was beautiful and that he would be great. He's been preparing for this since he was a child.

Those words usually did the trick. And I really did mean every word of it.

I wasn't at all afraid of showcase night. I was actually excited. I would finally get to see Tom doing what he loved. That feeling he got when he was on stage, I'd see that passion in his eyes. I craved it.

As nervous as he was, I knew once he got in front of that spotlight he loved so much, he'd be his confident, amazing self. The one I was falling head over heals for.

"I've read the script Tom. It's beautiful. It's genuine. Nothing about it is boring." I assured him again. I oddly didn't mind assuring and reassuring him. It actually made me feel a little more useful than I was.

"Thanks." He mumbled. "I just really hope you're right."

"If I'm right about anything, it's this." I nodded. "And I'm sorry sir but we don't serve alcoholic beverages or physical displays of affection in this diner. Can I get you something else?" I now began wiping his table off.

He laughed. Before his eyes scammed me up and down. "No ma'am I think I'm all set. How much do I owe you?"

"You owe me a movie of my choice. And a spot on your sofa later." I answered with a wink.