A Greek Salad

Should I go?

Sure, I was tremendously surprised when I got his note on my desk. And yes, I was excited to talk and have lunch with him the initial minute I read the note. Not only because I wanted to forget about this morning's encounter with Tom, but also because I really found Dr. Craft attractive.

He has a crush on me so I'm allowed to admit that I do too.

I didn't know him well enough to like him on an emotional level. We barely even talked outside of the normal everyday chit chat. The weather, crazy patient stories, the casual work talk.

How's Evan doing in school? That's good.

Did you hear it's supposed to snow tonight?

How long is your shift? Wow that's a long shift.

His personal life? I knew nothing about that. All I knew was that he had a beautiful set of brown eyes and his smile could make the sun seem less bright.

When I suddenly realized, halfway to the cafeteria for our lunch, that this would be the only time we'd be forced to actually speak on a personal level. I was scared. Like a little teenage girl. I kept contemplating turning around and just skipping lunch today.

What would we talk about? What do I do if there is a quiet moment? What was I going to ask him?

Or worse. What was he going to ask me?

As sad as it seemed, this lunch with Doctor Craft was the first one I've had with a man in a while. I don't do dates. I don't do "lunches" or "dinners" or "coffee" for that matter. Unless it involves Evan across the table from me.

I stopped dating once Evan was a toddler. Just because there comes a point where you just have to give up.

Grace and our old coworker Noelle set me up with a few blind dates against my will and I was forced to "test the waters" with a few of the guys.

The dates went horrible. As I expected from a blind date.

Grace and Noelle had good taste in men. I mean, none of them were bad looking. The only downfall of all of my dates was the conversation.

Whenever they asked about me, that's when it went downhill.

They'd ask me why I was set up on the date. They'd ask if I was ever married. And they'd all have the same look of horror on their faces when I tell them I have a son.

A Lot of the time, I had to specify my past to them. Which was awfully awkward.

Hi I'm Audrey. I loved this guy but he broke my heart. So to avenge him I got with a guy I shouldn't have, and had a kid. BUT, my baby daddy didn't want to be in my sons life. So now I'm single. Wanna date me?

How do you say that in a good way?

Other times, fortunately I didn't have to speak of my past. Because most of them didn't stay long enough to worry about it. Once they heard of being a mom, that was often the deal breaker.

After around the fourth or fifth date in a year, I decided it was best to just leave it at me and Evan against the world. This way I wouldn't have to worry about sharing my ugly stories with a person who is just going to judge me.

My point is, I wasn't good at dates when I was younger, I couldn't even imagine what kind of awkward mess I was going to be today at this lunch.

I kept walking though. To my surprise, my will power held up enough to get me through the entrance of the cafeteria.

Doctor Craft already knew I had a son. So that wouldn't be a surprise to him. And we see each other every day. He's not a blind date. Something in my mind had to assure myself that this was going to be different.