The Villain

"Please. Don't do this. You can't do this to me. To us." My eyes and cheeks were flooded in tears. Tears that he would usually clear away with one swipe of his thumb.

This time he didn't. He just kept walking.

"I'm sorry." He says before he gets in the cab and he takes off. The way he leaves hurts me most. It makes my heart feel physical pain. Pain that I had never ever felt. Nothing left of us but a kiss on the cheek and two lonely, sad words. I'm sorry.

My eyes follow him as he gets into the cab. I watch it begin to drove away. "You can't do this! I need you!"

He's too far gone now to hear my words.

I wake up panting once again. My back erect. The beads of sweat on my forehead join my watery eyes.

I swore I felt that chest pain like it wasn't just in my dream. I swore it was happening in real life. But when I sat up in my bed, staring at my familiar surroundings and calming myself down, my heart was completely fine. It was just pounding. Along with my head.

I should have been used to The Dream by now. Especially because I've had it so many times before. Including about four times just this week.

I knew it was because Tom was here. The reason The Dream couldn't escape my mind, was because I knew that he was in this city. He was in my work. He was everywhere I was. I couldn't escape him no matter where I went.

Even if I was home, he was still in my dreams. He was a trap. A charming, smooth talking, trap.

The walls of my room begun slowing my breathing down and I take a few deep breaths to regulate my heartbeat once again. I blinked away the little tears in my eyes ducts and I was okay again.

Before I could even think of Tom and The Dream even more, the sound of a pot or a pan banging in the kitchen catches my attention.

Sound proof that Evan was awake and that it was time to make breakfast.

Breakfast for him, wasn't a bowl of cereal. It was scrambled eggs, bacon and toast with strawberry jelly. Every single day. He never wanted anything else.

One day I slept in too late and Evan decided that, instead of waking me up, he would make breakfast on his own.

He almost set the house on fire that day. Instead of my alarm clock waking me up, I was awoke by the sound of the smoke detector going off from the hallway off of my room.

He dropped a whole egg on the burner of the stove and it smoked up the entire kitchen. He also managed to get butter on every piece of furniture in the kitchen and get frozen bacon bits all over the floor.

That was the day I told him to wake me up to give him Breakfast. Now, he's just my helper. He gets the frying pan down from the hanger using his stool, and he gets the bacon and eggs out to sit. His next step was to wake me up. If my alarm doesn't do it before he does.

Or if The Dream doesn't decide to wake me up before either of them.

When I heard the pans banging together, I knew that any minute, he'd be knocking on my door.

I switched my alarm off and I waited. Seven o'clock on the dot, and Evan knocks two times before letting himself in.

"Morning mom!" He greeted me with an unexpected smile. Especially for a Monday.

Any other Monday would probably be different for him. But this Monday, he was still on school break. So he was extra happy.

He was also extra extra happy because today is the day he starts his project with Tom at the hospital.