Chapter Six - Nicotine

Miles to the side there --->

"Hey!" The girl yelled after me.

I quickened my pace, hoping to loose her.

No such thing happened as she appeared at my side. "What the hell!"

I spun around to her.

She flinched back, surprised at the sudden closeness.

"Look, I'm not interested in whatever it is you're selling, and if you're looking for a guy- trust me. You don't want to get involved with someone like me. Now why don't you run along and flaunt that fine little ass of yours for someone else."

Her eyes were wide. I saw the emotions play across her face. Shock, devastation as her shoulder's slumped, then embarrassment. I felt a twinge of guilt for being so harsh, but then she turned into a sudden spitfire.

"Now you listen here," She jabbed a finger into my chest, her eyes glassy and face red,"I don't care who the hell you think you are, but that's no way to talk to a girl! I'm not trying to sell you anything and I'm not the little slut you've obviously mistaken me for. Excuse me, for trying to be nice and make someone's first day easier! Excuse me, for thinking you weren't doing so well sitting under that tree by yourself! Excuse me," She jabbed her finger twice more into my chest making step back,"For trying to be a friend!"

Her breathing came heavier now.

A mix of awe and respect infiltrated me. Then I remembered my life, who I was, and why I was here. I blinked and banished all emotion from my face.

"Trust me, Sweet Heart. You don't want to be friends with me."

The bell had finally rang. I turned away and blended into the throng of people that swarmed the school. Once I was in the halls I brought my schedule to my face. My first class was Algebra II with Mr. Fitzgerald, room A204. I scanned the halls for some kind of map, but then I realized I already had one. I flipped my schedule over to the next page and found where I was. My first class was just down the hall to the right. I walked straight forward into the mess of other students. It seemed like the crowd parted for me. Anyone that was in my way stepped to the side. I smirked to myself.

I strode into the room moments later. People had begun to take their seats while the teacher was writing some equations on the whiteboard. Mr. Fitzgerald looked to be in his late forties or early fifties. His hair had flecks of gray and his beard was kept in black and white stubble. He wore glasses and a tie.

I approached him.

He gave me glance. "What is it?"

"I'm new." I handed him my schedule.

He adjusted his glasses as he studied the paper. "Ah, yes. They notified your teachers of a new student." He gave me back the papers. "Take a seat in the back row, far left corner."

I went over to the seat and waited for the class to begin. At the ring of the second bell, more kids started piling into the room. I got a few more odd stares, but my glare was enough to give them whiplash from turning the other way. There was one fair-haired boy who wandered in just as the final tardy bell rang. He was grinning like he had won an Olympic medal.

"Good morning, Mr. Fitz!" He greeted.

"Take a seat, Miles."

"Sure thing, Sir!" He chirped and swaggered down my row.

To my dismay he took the empty seat next to me.

The teacher started the lesson and I felt myself sink lower in my seat.