Chapter Ten - Sober

School was rather bleak the next day. After I had taken Emily home she invited me to come inside. I declined, seeing ten thousand ways that could go wrong. School was peaceful, leaving me somewhat confused. Usually something or someone would have pissed me off by the time lunch rolled around. Then I remembered who was missing.

"Guys, have you seen Miles?" A brunette girl in glasses asked, sitting down at the table with everyone.

Emily frowned. "No, I haven't. Huh that's weird, he usually texts us all when he knows he's going to be absent."

"I know, that's why I'm worried."

Snakebites, a.k.a 'Gabe' waved it off. "Relax, Nessa. I'm sure he's fine. He probably overslept today and is still sleeping now as we speak."

"I doubt it..."

I sighed. "I'll check the guy's bathrooms."

"You will?" The girl looked up, hopeful.

"Yeah, sure, whatever."

I picked up my backpack and left the cafeteria.

It was probably my fault Miles disappeared. He was one of those soft guys. It was more than likely he was off sulking somewhere because Emily didn't return his affection. I swung open the bathroom door and stepped inside.

"Miles! You in here?"

"Over here, Mate." A depressed, monotonous voice called.

Miles stood slumped in the corner of the bathroom with a silver flask in his hand.

As he spoke, his words were slurred. "Come to thrust upon me another revelation?"

I paused. "Still busted up over, Emily?"

Miles shrugged and took a swig of the flask. "That's one way of putting it."

I felt bad for him. "I'm sorry."

Miles shook his head. "It's no matter. She was never mine to begin with. I have no right to feel this way... though I can see why she favors you. I can't protect her. I can't throw a punch. All I can do is charm-speak my way through life."

"You'll be okay, dude. It's only one girl. You'll meet thousands."

Miles nodded drowsily. "Be that as it may, she sure is a catch. That girl has been to hell and back."

"What exactly has she been through?"

"'Tisn't my story to tell, Mate. You'll have to ask her."

I'd have to pry it out of him later. For the moment, I snatched away his flask and took a drink. There was a harsh burn that went down my throat.

"Ugh, whiskey? Really, Miles? That's too strong for you."

"My intention was to drink myself to death."

I rolled the cap back onto the flask and put it into his backpack. "Lucky for you a certain brunette and a certain blonde are worried. Otherwise I'd leave you here."

Miles groaned and slid down the wall onto the floor. "I don't want Emily to see me like this. She'll think me a fool."

"You are a fool. Now get up."

I helped Miles to his feet. He swayed once he was up. I sighed in annoyance and picked up his backpack. I threw Mile's arm over the back of my neck and tugged him out of the bathrooms.

"If you puke on me, I swear to God I'm punching you when you're sober." I warned.

Miles snorted.