Chapter Twenty-Six - Bruised

- Corren -

"You want an ice pack?"

"I'm fine."

"That shiner says otherwise."

"It's nothing-"

"But a bruise."

I snatched the ice pack from Hannah.

She smirked.

I placed the ice pack to the side of my face which was a harsh plusating red and purple. Rewind a few hours earlier, and Hannah I were not the only ones on the football field. We were walking out to lunch. My eyes darted, looking for an escape- a break in the crowd that would last long enough to ditch Hannah as she gossiped about everything I missed in my absence. Everything I didn't give the slightest shit about. I spotted a break and made a beeline for it, never sparing a glance behind me to see if Hannah had noticed.

Wandering had it's good moments and bad moments. Usually when I wandered I found some kind of consolation in getting lost and ending up in a new place entirely. The place this time would be the football field. What happened next wasn't my finest moment.

"Aye look who's back!"

My eyes snapped up from the grass.

Archer, Quinton, and my best friend Grayson had turned their attention to me. Hopefully you spotted the sarcasm. My fault though, for walking right into their football practice. Most of the players had already cleared the field, heading back to the locker rooms. A few chose to linger and watch what was about to unfold.

Colorful vocabulary Emily wouldn't have been fond of was itching to break past my teeth. Instead, I took a deep breath and kept my cool. "I was just leaving."

"What's the rush, Lacrosse?" Grayson moved toward me.

It seemed Lacrosse would be my new name.

Grayson shoved his football helmet to Quinton. "Afraid you'll lose round two?"

"Nope. I just know how to pick my fights now. This one isn't worth it." I turned my back to the three of them.

"Your brother would have fought."

My hands balled into fists.

Emily's voice rang inside my head as I considered what she would think. 'Don't. You're better than this.'

Grayson laughed. He sounded as though he was right behind me. "You're every bit of a coward as he was."

I'm sorry, Sweet Heart. I thought. You're not here to save me now.

My fist collided with Grayson's face.

The rest became a blur.

What I did remember was a few of the football players jumping in. I actually started to get my ass kicked before Hannah had alerted the coach. As soon as he blew his whistle and yelled everyone scattered from the scene. I was on the ground with soon to be bruises all over my body, and a busted lip. Grayson, like the coward he was couldn't even fight one on one. I'd get him back soon enough.

"You had to take the fight didn't you?" Hannah stared at me none too pleased.

She was leaning against the wall with her arms crossed and a boot up against the wall.

"Some fights you can't walk away from." I muttered.

Hannah chewed at the side of her mouth. "I guess I can understand that."

"Hannah, I'm taken." I blurted.

She snickered. "Woah there, Casanova. How about you just trust that someone wants to genuinely be your friend?" Her eyes seemed to plead with me.

I didn't trust very well to begin with. "Why?"

"Well you sure as hell could use one."

"Where have I heard that before." I murmured. The image of Emily laughing came to mind and it felt like my chest was swallowing itself. God, I missed her. As the afternoon began to fade to dust the chill of Alaska began to set in.

I stood up. "I should be going."

Hannah stepped away from the wall and picked her backpack up off the ground. "Take care of yourself, Corren."

I shrugged on my backpack. "I'll try." For Emily.

One year. I could do it. I'd make it for her.

I walked home. The brisk air and setting sun did wonders. As the firey orb warmed the snowy mountains in a golden orange glow I couldn't help but think how much Emily would love the view. I dragged my feet as my house came into view. I noticed my dad's car was missing from the driveway. I paid no mind to his absence as I walked in the door. Per usual, my mom was nowhere to be found. I headed for the stairs up to my room where I threw my backpack on the floor and fell onto my bed, burying my face in the blankets and groaning.

I hoped that Emily was doing better than me.

A:N:

Hey there... hehe... *dodges rocks, tomatoes, and pitchforks.* I'M SORRY ;_;

So the last update was July 22nd... I am a terrible human being. BUT I HAVE AN EXPLANATION. School is back in session. I'm actually rather happy about that. It's been a difficult summer so being back in the mix of work and friends every week has been a breath of fresh air. I've also been looking into colleges. I found one in New York I like :) New York University. Has anyone heard of it? Good things I hope. Do tell me in the comments :)

The next chapter shall be in Emily's POV! So we get to see how she's handling things :) Hannah still seem like bad news? Perhaps she is. Perhaps not. To be continued! I'll try to update sooner. I really want to get back in the swing of writing and finish this story. Updates will most likely be on weekends since school is back so you can expect one between Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. I'm hoping at least. I love you all my beautiful fighters! Are you back in school yet? If not, when do you start? :) Please excuse the typos! Didn't proof read very thoroughly :c I'm so sorry it's short too! (/.\)

Stay Strong ~Mickey