Chapter Twenty-Five - Perspective

- Corren -

Flight 219 swept me away to the cold and barren place I once called home. I wanted to run up to the cockpit and turn the plane around, but I restrained myself from doing so.

This is for the best. You can't put your family in danger.

Family. What an odd word that was. You gave the word your own definition. Yes, family traditionally referred to parents and children living in a household together. Not for me. I defined family as people you loved. People who had your back and always would. My family was Emily and Jem. Miles and Jason. Vanessa, Gabe, and even Harper. Although I no longer laid claim to my biological parents, they were still my parents. I knew there was a time where we were all happy together. Maybe it was time to pick up the pieces instead of running. Maybe things could go back to the way they were years ago. If I was going to be stuck here for a year, I might as well try.

I waited on the benches outside the airport. There was a shocking chill to the air, but that was probably my body readjusting to the cold. Before I never paid any mind to the ever-present winter, that was how used to it I was. I now regretted not having a thicker jacket. I meant to pack my lacrosse hoodie, but I forgot it at Jem's. It looked like I'd have to buy a new one. Or better yet, I thought. Maybe I can join lacrosse again. I mulled it over. It didn't seem like a bad idea. Being back in the game might help to keep me busy

A black SUV pulled up against the curb. My father was waiting. I took in a deep breath and exhaled. My bags felt like bricks and my legs weights, but I mentally encouraged myself to keep moving. Just because I was here didn't mean I had to pretend to like it; I just needed to endure it. I placed my bags in the backseat then climbed into the passenger seat. My dad pulled away from the airport without a word. When the drive proved to be a silent one, I decided now was the time to make amends.

I clear my throat. "How's mom?"

My father glanced at me. "She's fine- been sleeping a lot. Quiet as ever."

"Have you thought about getting her on medication?"

He shook his head. "She wont take them. She's been going to therapy though."

"That's good."

Silence sunk in again.

"You seem different." My dad observed.

I looked at him. "How?"

"You seem.... happier. Enlightened maybe."

I nodded. "I'd be lying if I denied it."

"Tell me something. If you were happy at Jem's, why did you get yourself kicked out?" There was a slight bitterness to my father's tone.

I didn't have the energy to fight. So I calmly said my piece without much emotion. "I didn't. Jem was shot. You know that. It's the only reason you guys are letting back here. You and I both know that. Trust me, if  there was any other option I would still be there. Alaska is the last place I want to be. As soon as the year is up I'm packing as fast as I can."

He nodded slowly, his expression intrigued. "Alright, Son... I'm curious. What happened in North Carolina?"

A thousand things.

* * *

I placed my bags on my old bed in my old room in this old house. I knew every inch of this house. Every crack, every crevice, but it did not feel like it was mine. It felt too strange to be here. I sighed and put away my clothes. My first order of business was redecorating the room. I tore down the posters I had of biker models and old bands I no longer enjoyed. I kept the posters of bands and games I still liked, but even then the room seemed weird to be in, like I was sleeping where a stranger once slept. My bedroom door was open. When my mom emerged from her room she walked by and stared in for a moment. She and I locked gazes. Like I expected, she turned away shyly and kept walking. I put down the clothes I picked up from my suitcase and hurried down the hall after her.