Chapter Nine - Reverie

"Welcome back, Ems!"  Miles engulfed Emily into a hug during fifth period. He broke away and held her at arms length. "Where were you during lunch? We didn't think you'd return today! Do you know how worried we were?"

Emily smiled and shrugged. "Megan stole me. You know how over-protective she can be. She's been like a hawk all day."

Miles smiled. "Well, I'm glad you're back, you little stunner!"

Emily blushed. "Thank you, Miles."

Emily patted him on the shoulder and took a seat beside me. Miles' face fell a little, but he plastered on a smile and walked off, sitting at a table nearby. I studied him as he walked away.

"You okay?"

I looked at Emily. "Yeah, fine."

"You sure? You kinda have the look of someone struggling over math homework."

"You know Miles has a thing for you, right?"

Emily bit her lip. "Yeah, he's a bit obvious, but I don't really have it in me to crush him."

I busted out laughing.

"What's so funny!"

"Jeez, you don't have it in you to crush the poor kid? You're going to crush him just by playing him. Either you're interested, or you're not. Don't lead him on."

"It's not like that!" She protested. "Look it's only been for a little while. I'm hoping he'll catch on."

"Yeah, okay." I rolled my eyes.

"What, you jealous?" Emily teased.

"You're nice and all, Sweet Heart, but you're not exactly my type."

"Oh yeah? What's your type then? The moody and arrogant?"

"Moody?"

Emily scowled. "Yeah, moody. It's like you're bi-polar! You're fun and easy-going one second, sweet and caring the next, and then you're back to brooding!"

"Am I supposed to care?"

"Yeah, you are actually."

"Sorry, Emily," I leaned back and smirked. "I don't."

Emily shook her head and began to get started on the homework the teacher assigned. "It's okay to give a damn every now and then you know."

That hit a nerve. "Give a damn? Give a damn? I didn't realize carrying your passed-out ass to bed didn't qualify as 'giving a damn.'"

"I-I-" Emily stuttered, her eyes had widened. "T-That's not what I meant!"

The bell rang, signaling the end of class.

I snatched up my backpack. "If this is the thanks I get for giving a damn, then fuck it."

I didn't  turn back when she called my name.

"Bloody Hell! What was that!" A certain Brit caught up with me.

The hallways were stirring with activity as people changed classes.

"Get lost, Miles."

"The hell if I do! Why are you always such an arse to Emily?"

"Does it matter?"

"Yes! It quite does! I don't know what Emily sees in you but she is the bravest doll you'll ever meet! You don't know a fraction of what that girl has been through!"

I spun around to Miles. "You know that's the funny thing, I don't care! The further she is from me- the better... You know what? I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Emily isn't into you. Do yourself a favor, Bro. Move on, she isn't interested." I patted Miles on the back and left him to the crowd.