I Knew This Would Happen

“I really miss you. Its been weeks and I can’t stop thinking about you A, I’m apologetic can’t you see that? Please call me b- “

Delete.

“I went to the store and I saw that book you liked so much. You know the one? Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansen played in the movie. The Other Boleyn Girl. Well I bought it, can you believe it? I actually started reading it, I’m on page O-“

Delete.

“Ariel call me back, please I’m dying over here. I don’t care about the age thing anymore, I don’t care, I miss you, and I love you.”

My thumb hovered over the number seven as I thought about the words. I miss you, and I love you. Why would he backtrack like that? As if I didn’t have enough issues he thought it would be ok to say ‘oops my bad I didn’t mean what I said the other day, you know on second thought, I do love you.’

Delete.

“but that’s not how it works.” I said this to the water as I moved my legs back and forth in the pool. Marie had once again come up with a brilliant plan to ‘hang out’. This time it consisted of water, big t-shirts, shorts and bathing suits of sorts. My Onesie was covered up by blue jean shorts and a extra large t-shirt.

“Not how what works?”

Andres, beautiful Andres placed his forearms on the edge of the pool right next to my thighs. He looked good in water, amazingly good.

“Nothing.” I really wanted him to go somewhere else and stop gazing up at me as if I was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, it was unnerving.

“A lot of nothing? Or is it something?”

Word games, I had no patience for it. I had no patience for him and his pretty eyes and quivering lips, “I’ll be back.” I muttered as I slowly stood up.

“Yeah sure.”

He sounded hurt, but I didn’t really care, his problem not mine.

I didn’t know where I was headed to, but as soon as I pressed the gate surrounding the pool I knew that I wanted to get out of there.

Dripping wet my sandals squished with water as I moved down the street slowly. The hot summer air blew at my wet clothes as a breeze drifted through. I thought about my dad and how he still hadn’t called me. I thought about how I had called him myself, just a few weeks ago and he hadn’t called back. Was he really that angry with me?

Did I mess up that bad?

I would beg his forgiveness and denounce Josh wholeheartedly if he would just forgive me. To be honest, I missed my old man. I missed the way he belched too loud and laughed like he was choking on a chicken bone. I even missed the scent of his too heavy cologne clouding the air as he passed my bedroom

Four weeks into my break and I wanted to go home, it wouldn’t be long now. I had a little over a month of my summer left and then college would start soon, and we would have to face eachother eventually.

_____________________________________________________________

I don’t even know where he came from, but there he was leaning against the fence talking to some girl. I poked Marie in the side, “There he is.”

“I don’t know what’s wrong with you Ariel. I could’ve sworn you didn’t like the guy.”

After a week of not seeing Ronnie, I realized that I regrettably did missed him. Not an ‘oh I haven’t seen you a minute’ missed you, but an ‘oh my god where have you been, I’ve been thinking about you’ missed him.