The Boy(z)

God….

I put my hands on my hips and looked up at the scorching sun. My bare shoulders were burning from the impact of the sauna-like sun rays and my Capri's were sticking to my thighs like adhesive tape.

Why…is it…so HOT IN TEXAS?!

“Marie its too hot for this!”

I stomped my sandaled feet against the gravel of the makeshift walk way and grimaced at Marie. She had her hair down, curling just before the tip of her shoulders. She shrugged, “It feels good to me.”

We were at the park, just a mere ten minutes away from her moms house by car. It was next to a wide bayou, dirty and unattractive compared to the trees that lined the back of the park. In the far distance there were swings, slides, and the jungle gym I had been so fond of as a little girl. But what really made the park breathtaking was the atmosphere, the people there made it seem so loving. I didn’t see what I usually saw at the park back at home, here I saw communion, brotherhood, sisterhood, a mixture of races in one area.

Its still too hot for this.

I took charge and walked ahead of Marie, she was just standing there with her head thrown back smiling. I didn’t know where I was going, or who I was even looking for, but I had my eye set on a certain swing.

“Hey wait for me.”

I looked over my shoulder and snorted, “Catch up kidd.”

With each step I took my stomach churned, rumbled, sputtered, roared, all of those things you say when you’re hungry.

But it was fine, because I would be surrounded by gorgeous boys in a moment. If what Marie had said the night before was the truth.

“Yes they’re cute. Really really cute.”

“I need description, I want weight, height, color, age-“

“Do you want their penis size too?”

I recalled recoiling back dramatic and pressing my hand against my chest as I gasped, “Why I would never? Lil ole virgin me?”

“Virgin my ass.”

She threw her legs in the air on my bed and attempted to kick me, “Don’t you dare act like lil virgin Mary over there! Aint no way you’re a virgin, plus you got two years on me.”

“Hey, what I do in the dark, stays in the dark.”

Yeah so I didn’t intend on the conversation leading to sex, but usually it seems like just about EVERYTHING with teenagers leads to sex.

Marie fell into step next to me, her white camisole fitting snugly and khaki shorts blending nicely with her caramel colored skin. “See those guys over there?”

My eyes roamed the park, there were tons of guys, shirtless guys, straight guys, gay guys, short guys, tall guys, brown guys, ugly guys, which did she mean? “Where?!”

She pointed her index finger to a group of guys wrestling to the far left, from afar I counted three. “Oh those guys.”

“Duh, see the one in the red? I think he would be perfect for you.”

The one in the red seemed a little too pretty and vain for me. I could just imagine him up close, light-skinned, grey/green eyes and a face to sail a million ships. “So those are the guys?”

I just felt the need to clear things up, for all I knew she was just pointing out random cute guys.

“Yesssssssss. Who else would it be?” She picked up the pace and grasped my wrist as she strolled closer to them.