Chapter Twenty: Shopping for Blood

I really did plan to finish this story in the holidays when I figured I would have heaps of time but now I have heaps of holiday homework -.- haha. I'm still going to try and finish this story before the holidays end, I just really want to finish it but I also don't want to rush it xD i have a few more tricks left to make things interesting :D Things that I've been planning since the beginning of the story and can't wait to write!

Hope you all enjoy!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Chapter Twenty

Shopping for Blood

Melody's P.O.V

"Well what the fuck do we do now?"

A silent exchange of glances transpired before Carl came to the resolution that we keep running until we reached Lane Cove.

"Once we're away from the horde we can stop and think."

With a final glance over our shoulders at the approaching horde we began running up the road. Foot after exhausted foot with nothing but the moonlight and the echoes of the infected to fuel us. It was strange, but the songs of the infected didn't seem to hold the same effect on me as they originally had. Instead of sparks of fear igniting through my veins it was a mere thrum of annoyance. And that's all I felt now as I jogged up the road. Annoyed.

I tilted my head up towards the sky as I forced myself to continue running. Several stars twinkled against the velvety darkness of the night before being engulfed entirely by it.

A threatening cloud seemed to creep after us, devouring the moon in its path it eradicated any source of light. Leaving only the simple breeze to console us as we ran. Loud thunder soon began booming, as if to once again laugh at our misfortune. As we finally reached Lane Cove, short bursts of lightening began stabbing at the earth.

"We need to get undercover!" Alan yelled, his voice almost entirely lost within the sounds of thunder that grew louder with every strike.

"We can run in the rain! We need to keep moving!" Carl yelled back as we reached the small plaza of Lane Cove. A small green square in the middle was surround by empty shops. The entire area seemed completely devoid of life, which was eerie as it was so easy to imagine the place bustling with people. We stopped running as Alan turned to face Carl, his breathing ragged and heavy.

"If we run in the rain we'll die!" He growled. By brows furrowed as I threw a glance over my shoulder, ensuring the horde was out of sight. It was, but their moans were still vaguely audible, even above the thunder and roaring winds.

"The rain infects people? Doesn't it?" I asked. It made sense. Realization slapped me in the face as I remembered the children, playing in the rain and the man on the plane, drenched in rain water. Alan slowly nodded his head at me as Carl quizzically looked between us.

"What the hell do you mean the rain infects people?" He asked, raising his voice over the increasing ferocity of the thunder.

"Think about it! The children at the Q.V.B weren't bitten, they were playing in the rain!" I exclaimed, raising my voice as the wind threatened to carry it away. His brows furrowed for a moment before he began furiously shaking his head.

"That's bullshit! We don't have time to waste hiding undercover because you two are afraid of a storm!" He yelled, walking past us and towards the nearest road.

Alan grabbed onto his arm and pulled him backwards. Pulling out his gun Carl slammed the butt of it against Alan's head.

"Carl!" My voice was lost amongst the raging winds and the laughter of thunder as Alan fell to the ground.