Chapter Twenty One: Bike Riding & Stair Falling

Can't believe this book is almost ending :( This chapter might be a bit dull because well, I just really want to get through this part so that I can get to some of the fun parts xD

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Chapter Twenty One

Bike Riding & Stair Falling

Melody's P.O.V

Relentless screams flowed from her ruby red lips as the bullet pierced her abdomen. I stood behind her, watching helplessly as the bullet forced her body to the ground, the blood already pooling around her. I stood above her as tears began to cascade down both our cheeks. Her dark eyes quelled into a lighter shade before mutating into a grievous grey colour.

Without warning or hesitation her body flew from the floor and rammed into mine. Her teeth sunk into the flesh of my neck as her nails dug into the softness of my arms. My knees felt weak as she drained the life from me and a warm river of blood ran down my body. It was what I deserved. I could have stopped her from dying, I could have prevented her death if I had just done something different.

She released her hold on me and shoved me against the wall. Her lips now a more sinister shade of red she sniffed the air as she snarled at me. Without hesitation she threw her head towards the sky and began her relentless screaming once again, but this time I joined her in her shrieks as I too looked towards the sky and began screaming.

A warm hand placed roughly against my lips snatched me from my dementia as my eyes wildly weaved across the room before landing on a concerned Carl. Relaxing slightly, he removed his hand from my lips and stood up from his crouch.

"You alright?" He whispered, glancing momentarily to the closed door behind him. Sitting up straight I let my back rest against the wall as I wiped the sweat from my brow.

"Yeah," I whispered, my voice so small and confined I was doubtful he even heard me, "just a bad dream."

Nodding in understanding he sat down beside me, crossing his legs in front of him he tilted his head towards me.

"We're gonna make it Mel, I promise." He whispered, a soft yet dominant ferocity commanded his tone as his eyes locked with mine. "We're gonna get to the airport, get on the chopper and we'll be fine. I promise." Although his eyes and tone conveyed sincerity and certainty, it did little to console me, but I nodded anyway, forcing a small smile. Smiling back at me he opened his mouth to continue but stopped as Alan turned in his sleep. Not wanting to rouse him we waited several seconds before continuing.

"Do you wanna tell me what's up between the two of you?" He asked, an eyebrow raised as he gestured between me and Alan with his thumb. I huffed out a breath as I looked at Alan's still body before I returned my gaze back to Carl.

"It's complicated." I muttered.

"Complicated how?"

"He thinks he loves me."

"Well maybe he does."

"Well maybe he's confused." I rebutted, astonished that Carl would stick up for Alan.

"Either way, it's not his fault." I looked away from him as I tried to think of the right words to say. He was right though and there was nothing I could say that would counter that argument. Looking back at him I saw the dark circles under his eyes that were prominent against the bright light of the storage room.

"You go to sleep, I'll keep watch." Standing up from the floor I stretched out my arms and yawned as noiselessly as possible.

"Alright, I'll see you in the morning." He said, a yawn interrupting him as he scooted down on the floor so he was lying flat on his back. Closing his eyes it was only seconds before his low snores began.