Chapter Seventeen: The Long Walk

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Chapter Seventeen

The Long Walk

Melody's P.O.V

"Well fuck."

Neither of us bothered moving. We just stared at the bridge for several minutes before we finally looked at each other.

"Any plans this time?" Alan asked, a bitter tone underlying his words as he cast a gaze behind us.

"Get out and run like hell?" We'd have to go back a bit to get on the footpath, but at least it didn't look like there were any infected on the footpath, only the road.

"With your leg and me carrying Robyn, we won't be going very fast." He said, shaking his head. "It's like an hours walk to the hospital from here."

"I could hot-wire another car?" I suggested. He glared at me for a few seconds before quietly telling me 'No'.

I looked back at the road. Desperately searching for any gap where the car would fit. Of course there was none though. With the amount of luck we've had I suppose it's only natural that we would run out eventually.

"We could turn around and take one of the other bridges?" I asked, gripping the steering wheel uselessly. He shook his head.

"The roads are blocked." He stated, running a hand through his hair.

"How do you kno-"

"I just do!" He snapped, opening the car door and stepping out. I furrowed my brows at his behavior but decided he must have still been angry with me. He opened the back door and gently pulled Robyn into his arms. I searched the car for anything I could use as a weapon but came up empty handed besides a small, half-empty metal lighter.

"I guess we're walking then." I stated as I walked by his side down the road. The group of infected were approaching us but they weren't close enough to be a threat. If they saw us then we would have needed to panic.

I followed him wordlessly as we rounded the bridge and found our way onto the footpath. My leg began aching slightly but it was nothing I couldn't handle. After walking for five minutes we were finally over the water. The sound of the waves was gentle enough to sooth me yet rough enough to drown out the sounds of the infected. In the distance I could vaguely make out an object that was laying across the path, but it wasn't moving so I didn't worry about it too much.

Neither of us spoke incase our voices alerted them. The last thing we would have wanted was for them to be piling up against the fence that separated the footpath from the road. The moon shone bright in the sky and if it wasn't for the circumstances I would have rather enjoyed this walk. As we neared the object I had notice in the distance, I soon realized that it was part of the fence that had been pulled down. I looked over at Alan but he didn't seem to have been fazed by it. As we drew closer to it I realized many of the infected were gradually filtering through it to get onto the footpath. Luckily none of them had seen us.

I looked at Alan again, his brows were knitted together but he didn't seem to have any plan. I held my hand up to him and gestured for him to wait. As much as it hurt I kneeled down and got onto my hands and knees. Slowly crawling forward until I reached the hole. A tall infected girl who looked to be only sixteen stepped through the hole and stumbled about aimlessly. There were no other infected people near the hole so I waited for her to turn her back to me.

Once she had, I lifted myself up from the ground and pulled the small metal lighter from my pocket. Searching for the nearest car, I soon found one relatively close by. Drawing my arm back I pegged the lighter at the car and dropped to the ground. I missed the window but the impact initiated the car alarm nonetheless. All the infected on the footpath began running back and climbing through the hole as I slowly pushed myself away from them. Once the last of them was through the hole I stood up and gestured for Alan to quickly walk past. We stepped past the hole without any of the infected noticing us. I sighed in relief. That was a lot easier than I had thought it would be.