Chapter 23

“I don’t know what you mean.” I mumble while shifting my pizza around in my mouth; so I can form a coherent sentence. Earlier tonight Lance and I got kicked out of Cold Stone. We were in line and bought our ice cream when Lance decided to hit on the girl standing next to us. I guess he didn’t care that she had her humongous boyfriend on her arm. Then the boyfriend and Lance had an ice cream fight. Trust, it was as unmanly as it sounds. We were politely asked to leave and when I say politely I mean we were kicked out by security. Then Garrett’s popcorn was no better. The same thing happened but once they started throwing that expensively good popcorn I got pissed. So I punched Lance and the new jealous boyfriend in the stomach. Yet again we were kicked out by security. Now we are currently dining in Gino’s East. So far so good, but I can’t promise anything.

"So you don’t think Roy would be even a little angry if he knew his girlfriend was fighting in Garrett’s popcorn and is forbidden to ever go again?”  Lance chastised me. We had two deep dish pizzas and though I was trying to enjoy them in silence, Lance insisted on talking.

“No he won’t. Roy understands these things and is always willing to forgive.” I can’t believe I just lied through my teeth like that.

“And if they think I won’t be going there again they are surely wrong.” I mumble under my breath.

“Well I’ll make sure to tell him this when he gets here.” Lance threatens. I drop my pizza to glare at him.

“If you snitch so help me…” I was interrupted by someone laying their hand on my shoulder. I look up and see our waiter, Dwayne, smiling at me. I grimace and shrug him off. I look towards Lance and he’s leaning back waiting to see what unfolds.

“Well shawty your food will be on the house if you do me a little favor.” Dwayne tries enticing me with this deal, but I only roll my eyes.

“I’m not good at doing favors. Hope you can find a more willing girl.” I give a plastic smile and scoff at him. I turn back in my seat, but he doesn’t get my point.

“Hey man your girl is hot and I might have to steal her.” Dwayne jokes to Lance and Lance smiles wryly.

“Oh buddy I’m not her boyfriend. But my brother is and he won’t like this very much.” Lance warns him with a friendly smile. Lance is no help at all.

“Trust me I could take him.” Dwayne pops his collar and I bust up laughing.

“What?! I could!” He yells at me and I laugh harder.

“I don’t know how you guys would do in a fight, but don’t ever pop your collar again in my presence.” I shriek with laughter and hit the table.

“Wait. You are white.” Dwayne nods toward Lance as if this wasn’t already obvious. Lance gives him a no duh expression.

“And you say she dates your brother. Which means…”

“I’m white.” Roy appears behind Dwayne out of nowhere. I didn’t even see him walk up!

“Well white is such a broad category. More specifically we’re Italian.” Lance puts in clearly enjoying this. I giggle. I know what is going to happen next.

“Which means my uncle is a mafia leader from Sicily. And I’m sure he and his boys won’t appreciate you harassing my Angel.” Roy walks around him as if sizing him up. Any other day Roy looks like a normal guy, but right now he’s wearing black slacks and a white dress shirt with a black tie. Why is he so dressed up? Roy stops in front of his face. Dwayne by this point is skeptical.

“Just because you’re Italian doesn’t mean anything.” Dwayne mutters. His arms are crossed over his chest and I can’t take this anymore.

“Roy…” I begin, but he places his finger over my lips.