Chapter 17

The big gray and brown building cast a perfect shadow over its oncoming victims. People gathered at the front entrance. Some are listening to I-pods, and others talking to old friends. It was the first day back to school, and I am a senior. Am I happy? I asked myself as I stood near the crowd in denim shorts, black sparkle heels, and an off-the-shoulder, red top. I guess I’m a little excited. I get see my girls and plan pep rallies, homecoming and prom; which will all be easy. A bell rang and the doors were opened for the students to pile in, meet new teachers, and decorate lockers. I walked in and took a deep breathe. It’s 7:30 a.m. and I am tired.

“Is that my Tia!” a familiar voice screamed and it was Ruby standing by the office in a flowing white dress and sandals with her red hair pinned up.

“Ruby!” I yelled and crashed into her almost knocking the poor girl over. I was only 5”4 while Ruby was 5”8 and I can still take her out if I wanted to. It also didn't hurt that I had on 4" heels right now.

“Hey missy Anne. You look so Hollywood.” She laughed. I had on some black shades that covered my eyes. I took them off and placed them on my head.

“I don’t have that sun kissed tan going on though.” I laughed and she rolled her eyes.

“Yea you do hunny. You were born with it.” She laughed and I agreed. We walked down the halls and bumped into some of the football guys. I didn’t notice Roy with them and I was relieved. I hadn’t seen him since I left his house after our argument.

“Well if it isn’t our two sexy seniors, Ruby and Tia.” Matt winked at us and we giggled. He was such a flirt all you could do was smile.

“Hi Matthew.” I mocked him by using his whole name; he gave me a playful glare. He had caramel skin and bright hazel eyes, bulky muscles, and gleaming white teeth. I remember last year when he called me a sellout for dating Roy. Honestly he was just mad that I had turned down his offer to go out with me.

“Well if you men will excuse us; I have to go find my boyfriend and she has to help me spot him out.” Ruby winked and grabbed my hand dragging me away from the team.

“Where’s Calem? You two are usually joined at the hip.” Matt yelled to me and the guys laughed.

“Not anymore. We broke up.” I chuckled at their shocked expressions that soon turned into full out determination.

“Looks like their new goal is who can hook up with the exotic Tia first.” Ruby giggled turning us down a hall and placing us out of the predators’ view.

“Exotic?” I asked laughing silently. I would consider myself eccentric, but not exotic.

“Yes, exotic. Sweetheart you are not only a gorgeous black woman with all kind of curves in the right places, but you speak Spanish and Italian, you’re a belly dancer, a bookworm, you sing, and play guitar. Every guys dirty little dream.” Ruby wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

“I hope you know you almost made me gag.” I teased.

“Ruby baby what did I tell you about torturing people.” A deep voice came from the opposite end of the hall.

“I’m sorry Rick, but she was asking for it.” She said jokingly hopping into her boyfriend’s arms. They shared a kiss and I smiled. They were literally adorable together.

“Hi Tia.” Rick sang giving me a one armed hug. He had Ruby by the waist and she was smiling like a fool.

“Hey Rick. Ready to dominate in basketball?” I questioned. He laughed and nodded his head.

“Uh duh! That’s all I do!” He yelled.

“Whatever you say big boy. I’ll see you later Ruby I’m going to go find the others.” I gave them an air kiss and went to the auditorium. Josie could usually be found in here listening to music. As soon as I entered the auditorium though the bell rings signaling there was only 5 minutes until homeroom. Guess I’ll just find her later.