EPILOGUE (and announcement!)

Epilogue

Three years. It had been three years since the fiasco that occurred during my senior year of high school.

Three. Long. Years.

And in that time, I'd graduated high school with top marks, gotten accepted into Harvard Law school (encouraged by my parents since I loved to debate and argue), and tried to brave the world with a smile on my face.

Alone.

Well, not fully alone. I had my parents, my ever-loving and overprotective parents, Seneva, and actually managed to forgive and maintain a bit of a friendship with both Rosemary and Kyle who had been dating before... The Event, and continued to date now.

Three years had passed and no word of Geek. None. He'd vanished right before... Landon... and he hadn't called or texted or emailed or... or... anything. It broke my heart. Because, despite the short time we'd known each other, I'd somehow fallen for him-hard.

I still cried myself to sleep most nights for the horrible experience I'd gone through, for the horrible experience Kyle and Rosemary were involuntarily involved in, and for the loss of the guy I loved.

For the guy I'd never be able to call mine.

It was late December now, close to the three year anniversary mark, and I should've been feeling so happy. I was okay. My friends and family were okay.

I could only hope Geek was okay too.

Snow was falling in a soft drift, carpeting the brick pathways of Harvard's campus grounds. It was only mid-afternoon but it felt late, with the non-descript gray misty sky and bright white as far as the eye could see. I tucked my scarf around my neck more securely to combat the chill beginning to cloak me and rubbed my palms together in the hopes of bringing more warmth into them. Fellow students were enjoying the snow much more than I, forming snowballs to chuck at their unsuspecting friends and catching snowflakes in their hands. I watched them with a hint of a smile tugging at my lips.

Snow crunched behind me, but I paid it no mind until a tentative, "Ainsley?"

I whipped around, my heart suddenly springing to life with... hope?

That hope died when I recognized my current roommate and best friend, Thalia. She was a gorgeous girl and almost sickeningly sweet. Long, curly yellow hair and dark, dark gray eyes-basically a total knock out. And yet she had decided not to distract herself with any of the very available guys on campus.

"Thalia," I greeted, "Hey."

She smiled. "Uh, I've got a massive test first thing tomorrow and a classmate invited me to pull an all-nighter study session with her, so I won't be home tonight."

"Okay..." I laughed, a bit confused. "Thanks for letting me know, I'll put away any leftovers tonight in the fridge. Hope you do well!"

She gave me a quick hug and a "thanks," then rushed off. Odd. Thalia had always been slightly kooky but that was a bit unusual, even for her. Couldn't a text message have sufficed?

I almost laughed from the bizarreness of that short incident as she trudged away, humming to herself. But I didn't, because as soon she disappeared into the snowy air, my heart sank and drained me of the energy to laugh.

The snowflakes began to fall sideways due to a pick up in windiness, and I sighed with relief, my breath visible in front of my face. When I reached my and Thalia's apartment complex, I climbed up the twisted staircase up, up, up to the veranda on top. Both of our families had money and had helped gift us with this lovely present as an incentive to continue being top-notch students.