Chapter 3

Edited.

Q: Best book you've ever read? Come on guys, I know you read. Seriously. Otherwise what the heck are you doing on Wattpad? Just being a creeper? No. Just... no.

Chapter Three

*Nathan's PoV*

        I reluctantly stumbled back. She had a good hit there, but her fist didn't land quite right so my cheekbone merely throbbed. There was a fierce light that lit up her eyes as she pulled her fist back. I decided to let her go through with the hit, hoping it'd mean I would get her alone.

        What I didn't expect was to feel my heart pounding from those crackling sky blue eyes.

        I was smitten. With her feisty personality, soft, hidden smiles, tough and uncaring bravado, her fire truck-red hair.

        I mentally groaned. Of course, I become smitten with the victim of a stalker, whose father just so happened to privately hire me. How would I ever approach her father? "Hello, sir. Thanks for hiring me, I have the hots for your daughter who has a tongue as sharp as a whip and likes to punch me."

        Somehow I didn't think that would blow over well.

        I stared at her, staggering back dramatically just so I could see her pretty lips form a smirk.

        "MISS WINTERS! TAKE MR. PETERS TO THE NURSE'S OFFICE AND GO TO THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE! NOW!" Ms. Witherston barked like an angry Rottweiler.

        "I'm okay, Miss-"

        "GO!"

        Little Miss Redhead briskly walked out of the room, red tendrils slapping against her back from the stride of her legs. I contained a grin and held my bruising cheekbone, fake-scowling as I trudged after her.

        Once in the hall I realized she was much farther ahead of me. Dang, that girl could walk. I caught up with her and for a few seconds it was quiet, aside from our breathing and footsteps.

        I towered her at 6'2" and a half while she was only 5'5" with heels. So cute… Who wanted to hurt her and why?

        "I'm Ainsley," she said in a sweet, low voice.

        "And?" I asked rudely. Staying in character was something my debriefing agents had really tried to force. And even beyond that, the girl punched me! I think I had the right to be a bit rude.

        Her blue eyes flitted sideways over to me. A corner of her mouth lifted. "There's nothing more to it."

        I said nothing and slowed down to stay at her pace. "That's a lie."