chapter 5: Happy? Maybe not for long..

The next morning, Michael woke up by the sound of his alarm. He took a long warm shower while he was trying to forget the hot dream he was having. He knew his mother and he knew she wouldn't hesitate to smash the door if he was late. He hurried and dressed himself quickly. He went down the stairs and ate an apple. Then, he quickly brushed his teeth.

After that, his mother drove him at school. He went to his locker grabbing his math book. School was boring. Further, Casey was talking with... Russell? Michael was confused. They were laughing together as if they were best friends. The bell rang and Michael went to class taking his usual seat. Casey sat next to him.

"Hey Mika. Where were you? I didn't see you before now."

"I-I was late. I didn't wake up on time this morning," Michael said feeling uncomfortable.

Casey chuckled. The math teacher came into the room, everybody hurriedly stopped talking. The class began. Michael was really bored. He didn't know why he lied to Casey, but the fact Casey didn't tell him that he spoke to Russell hurt him more than he wanted to admit it. A paper plane fell on his desk, again. Michael opened it, on it the words 'you should have stayed where you were. You don't deserve anything good in your life. FAG!' was written on it.

A tear made his way on Michael's cheek. It was cruel. It hurt more than the first one. At this moment he realized he was crying. He wiped them furiously and looked quickly at Casey, hoping he didn't see it.

When Casey saw Michael was looking at him, he turned away. He's been acting strange since this morning. Michael didn't understand what was happening. Why was Casey getting more and more distant with him? What did he do to him? Was he ashamed to be with him? Suddenly, Michael felt sick. Quickly, he took all his stuff and left the class without a word. He ignored the words of the teacher. He went to the boy's toilet. He sat against the wall and cried. He didn't know why but he needed it. Maybe, it was because Casey spoke with Russell this morning. Maybe, it was because Casey looked away when he received the paper. Maybe, it was because he was scared. Maybe, it was because he was in love with Casey and he was afraid to lose him, to lose the best thing that ever happened to him.

"I'm in love with Casey." Michael whispered to himself. "How is that possible? It's only been a few days!"

He stayed here until lunch. When the bell rang, saying it was the end of the lunch, he went to his English class, for his last hour at school. Casey sat next to him looking worried.

"Mika, are you okay? I waited for you at lunch, you didn't come." Casey stated, frowning.

"I felt sick."

"You know, you can tell me everything." Casey sighed.

"Mmh... my... my mother saw us at the supermarket. She wants you to come for dinner... Would you come at home for dinner...Friday? If you don't want to I understand, don't worry."

"It would be a pleasure. Your mom seems really nice." Casey said with a smile.

Michael smiled back. Maybe this day wasn't that bad after all. The hour went by slowly. Once at home he did his homework and told his mother that Casey would be here for dinner Friday night. He fell asleep quickly; he was no longer worried by Casey's strange attitude.

The rest of the week was exactly the same. Nothing changed. Casey spoke every day in the morning with Russell, but they never talked about it. He didn't want to.

Friday Michael woke up early. He took a shower quickly, ate his breakfast, and left for school. Nobody annoyed him, for once he almost felt normal. He ate lunch with Casey, they laughed a lot. Casey told him he was really excited about tonight. At the end of the day Michael was waiting for Casey in front of his locker. Casey came a few minutes later.

"Are you ready to leave?" Michael asked with a big, bright smile.

"Mika. Mmh...I'm sorry I can't go anymore...I...Russell organized a party tonight and I'm invited. I asked him if I could go with you but he told me you hate parties so.... Sorry. I promise I'll make it up to you. I hope you're not angry with me... Are you?" Casey murmured, embarrassed.

Michael took a deep breath holding back the tears.

"That's okay, I'll tell my mom. We'll have dinner another time. I have to leave now. Bye, Casey. See you Monday. I hope."

Michael quickly kissed Casey on the lips and hurried to get back home. He hurried in his room, jumped on his bed and cried. Casey left him for a party. Casey left him for Russell! He knew Casey would want to be popular. He knew it. Who wants to be friends, or more, with the gay guy everybody hates?

Michael didn't hear his mother come in; he didn't hear her knock on the door. He knew his mother was here when she sat on his bed, next to him.

"Mika, sweetie, what happened? Did someone bully you? Is it because of Casey? Tell me everything." She said in a gentle voice.

"Casey, he can't come for dinner tonight. Russell... Russell invited him to a party. He left me for Russell mom." Michael whispered, hot tears rolling on his cheeks.

"He didn't leave you for Russell. I'm sure he loves you. You must not forget that he's new to this town. I think he wants to have friends. He wants to find his place at school. But I'm sure you're special to him. You don't have to worry. He can come when he wants!"

"But, I, if he becomes popular he will leave me. I'm not the most beautiful boy in this school. I'm even not the most intelligent. I've got nothing going for me! There are a lot of perfect boys for him in this town. I-I don't think I can handle it if he left me to be popular."

"You're in love, aren't you?"

"I think so. I've never felt this way before," Michael said playing with his hands.

"You have to tell him the way you feel about everything. I'm sure he will understand. But You have to talk to him. "

Michael hugged his mother tightly and kissed her cheek.

"I'll tell him Monday. Thank you."

"Now, come with me. Your father is here for dinner tonight."

They went downstairs. His mother made his favorite meal. Pasta. They ate in silence. At the end of the dinner, her mother looked at Michael, and then she looked at her husband before looking at her daughter, Yasmine.

"Denis. You have to know something important about our son."

Michael lowered his head looking at his plate.

"What happened? Someone's bothering him?"

"No." His mother replied with a small smile.

"So there's no problem, Joanie. You know he can't be pregnant."

"DAD!" Michael shouted, blushing furiously.

"Denis, you know he's still a virgin. Stop embarrassing him. He's in love!" Joanie said rolling her eyes.

"I'm leaving. I'll be in my room," Michael said as red as a tomato. It was too embarrassing for him.

During the weekend Michael did his homework. He waited for a message from Casey as he promised, but he received nothing. It was depressing. He listened to sad music for hours. When he wasn't listening to sad music he was watching sad movies. He didn't want to watch or listen to happy things. Why? Because he was sad and he didn't see the point to watch happy things when his mood was down. Tomorrow, it would be Monday. Michael couldn't wait to see Casey again. He wanted to understand him and he wanted to explain how he feelt. Tomorrow will be full of emotions. That's for sure.