Chapter 1: New start

I dedicate this first chapter to SkeneKidz because her books are amazing and it's because of her that I began to write stories. (:

A year off from school seemed to make the place look completely foreign to Michael. The way the locker doors clanged as the students sped past, talking amongst themselves, and not really paying attention to their next classes. But Michael, he was too consumed within himself. Returning to school having to repeat year 10 made him more than uncomfortable. He felt like he stood out of the crowd and he did. With his overly tall stature and lanky frame he looked somewhat like a character from a cartoon. He sighed heavily as he flicked a brown curl from his face. With big, chocolate brown eyes he watched anyone who might pick him for target practice today. Carrying his books to his first class of the year was a little daunting; even if everyone was too busy being excited about seeing their friends after the Christmas break. He sat down in the front row of his first class just as the bell rang and the teenagers poured in. He instantly looked down at his book scribbling on his papers attempting to draw as little attention to himself as possible.

"What's your problem?" A guy with blond slicked hair asked staring at Michael. He wasn't that tall but the way his cold blue eyes looked at him made him shiver.

He paused maybe a little too long before answering but his social skills seemed to be lacking after all time. "Nothing." Michael murmured.

The guy sniggered, smacking Michael's desk firmly. Michael's eyes shot up towards him, looking at him with a slight amount of fright, despite his own size being much taller but width, maybe not so much.

"Aren't you the kid who went to the mental hospital?" The guy asked, smirking cruelly.

Then, the guy laughed, high fiving the guy behind him with blonde hair and green eyes.

"I might be." Michael replied softly.

He hated how rumors spread so easily, even if they were true. It pissed him off more that his parents didn't fucking let him change high schools after the incident. Why must he return to the one place that shook him up so much to wind up in a place like a hospital for crazies?

"It's Mike right?" The guy asked with a menacing smile.

"Mika."

"Oh right, you're the mental case with the girl's name. I remember you; didn't my brother beat you up?" He asked, laughing as if it was the joke of the year.

Just before Michael (or Mika by his nickname) could answer or perhaps choke on the lump forming in his throat the teacher walked in, flicking her red heels and dropping her papers on the desk. The lesson will begin now. He tucked away his scribble paper and opened his book to begin but his mind was far too occupied by the stupid kids' questions. He was most likely only 17 at the most but Michael felt like he could still be a bully to him.

"Russell. I suppose you know the answers then since you're busy talking now?" The teacher asked at the teenager who was behind Michael.

Ah, the kids name. Michael knew that would come in handy, in avoiding him.

"No Miss, I was asking Jesse for help." He said high fiving the blonde kid.

How many times do the idiots want to high five each other a day?

"I'm sure you were mmhm." The teacher said with sarcasm, rolling her eyes.

Michael shifted in his seat. The day was passing in a drag. The smell of the class room reminded him too well of tales of horror, with the thin walls covered in dull cream paint that was slowly peeling and the brown under layer was visible, the place looked like a dump. Posters of class rules were splashed with red cordial and god-knows-what-else hung frailly on the walls with rusty pins. The teenagers could only make the same sounds as they always did, the clicking of hidden phones texting and chatter amongst nosy gossipers. Michael felt far too superior compared to these fools but at the same time he feared them and envied their ability to function. He wondered what skills they processed to go on every day, acting like dim witted dickheads and still stay smiling while he felt like he was rotting away in his own room each night.