Chapter 15: Apology Unaccepted

AIDEN

How did things get so out of control?

It was only supposed to be a prank, something big enough to scare Diana with, but at the same time minor enough to where she'd get over it after a few minutes or so.

Granted—a few minutes filled with rage, yelling, and then more rage.

But still, the big idea was that she'd get over it.

But with each passing day she became more distant and cold toward me. She seemed to have made it her mission to try to ignore me completely. Every time we passed in the halls, she would just brush by, not even acknowledging my existence whatsoever. And no matter how hard I tried to make eye contact with her on several occasions, she'd effortlessly managed to avoid that as well. I had to say, the girl's got spirit. Still... I found that I liked this side to her a lot less than her usual feisty, spunky self that hated me with a passion. In fact, I kind of missed it.

I kind of missed her

Yep, I admit it. I actually missed Diana Louis. Ask me a few weeks ago, and I'd have said no chance in hell. But now, even after all that we've done to each other, I found that I had a soft spot for her.

I guess I hadn't completely realized these feelings until I saw her with Dane pressing her up against that wall with his fangs grazing her neck. It was at that moment that I realized I couldn't—wouldn't—let that happen to her. Even now, knowing that she really truly hates me, I would still hate myself even more if I hadn't been there just in time to stop him. I know it completely contradicts my last words to her, but I didn't mean them! I regretted them as soon as they came out, but she refused to hear it. And now she hates me. Now if only she'd at least just talk to me...

After everything that went down that day, I'd tried to make things right. I'd gone straight to the vampire authorities, otherwise known as the council, and demanded they'd heard my story. Thing was, I was stupid enough to believe they'd actually take my side, especially since Dane had apparently already beaten me to it. He ended up being there as well, testifying that his actions were justified, which led to him telling them about mine and Diana's whole feud with each other as well as our prank war, and then eventually her infamous vervain prank.

The whole time, I was forced to wait patiently as Dane told his version of the tale, which was mostly him spewing bullshit out of his ass. He over-emphasized things that Diana had done that were in truth not so bad (especially when I had done things to her of the same scale), and made his actions sound much more innocent by contrast though that was definitely not the case. By the end he'd made her seem like some horrible person out to get vampires, while he was merely a victim so his actions were "completely justified". All I wanted to do after that was punch the motherfucker in the face.

However, I knew that if I were to do that, it wouldn't have helped me out whatsoever in trying to get the council on my side when I finally got to have my say. It wouldn't have made a difference, though, because by the time Dane was finished, the council was completely livid, at Diana—

And me.

Apparently it was my fault to have carelessly let things get so blown out of proportion, and they wanted me to immediately contact the human police for what she'd done to me, which I felt was completely ridiculous. When I tried to point this out to them however, they wouldn't hear it. In fact, they'd gotten even angrier that I'd tried to defend her.

When I'd emphasized once again how Dane had nearly tried to kill her, they simply shrugged it off and practically pat him on the back for it, saying but not quite saying that she basically had it coming. At that, I was stunned; I knew that some of the things Diana had done were less than honorable, but no one deserved to be terrified and threatened in that way for actions that were, in the light of things, really minor. And then, as if I weren't pissed enough, they delivered the last blow—