Chapter 29: That's what Best Friends are For

AIDEN

Homecoming day.

This was what everyone had been excited about all along, wasn't it? However I just couldn't seem to muster up any of the same excitement as I walked down the halls in a blur. Maroon and yellow streamers lined the walls, and confetti fell seemingly from out of nowhere. Banners hung from the ceiling every few feet, wishing the Lake Woodland Owls luck on the game tonight. People were cheering and hooting from every corner, however it was all white noise to me.

None of it really mattered.

My mind kept reverting back to the kiss Diana and I had shared. It had been so much more unbelievable than I'd ever expected. I'd never had a kiss so mind-blowing before, and never had a kiss felt so right. Even thinking about it now, I could feel a sudden surge of lust and my fangs protruding once again; if Diana hadn't stopped me who knows how far we would have gone.

That thought brought me back to the problem at hand.

Thinking about the mortified expression on her face after our kiss I felt disgust toward myself for kissing her like that without warning. Granted, it wasn't like the looks she was giving me that entire night weren't practically begging for me to kiss her. Also, she'd pretty much admitted her feelings when she told me she was "insanely jealous" of me asking Lexi to homecoming. Still, it could've gone down much better than that.

I didn't regret it, though—not one bit. It was completely worth it to find out that Diana was just as attracted to me, despite her morality preventing her from ever actually saying it since she was still "technically" with Luke.

The thing is, now she was avoiding me.

I hadn't even been able to talk to her about that night because, true to her word, she took every opportunity to prevent all possible contact with me. She always left for school before I even finished getting ready, and was already holed up in her room by the time I got home. The times we did see each other, she would make an effort to ignore me, and in Vampire Studies she would spend nearly every waking moment latched onto Luke—which infuriated me to no end considering it was only recently that we'd shared our incredible kiss.

Whatever, it was no use thinking about it now; I still had other things to worry about.

Now I walked to the boys' locker room, a feeling akin to dread seeping into me. Despite my no longer being the king of the school, the one thing that hadn't changed was my being the head quarterback. Due to my role in the vampire hierarchy, I was the strongest and fastest vampire here, and ever since I'd become head quarterback the football team had had an unbeatable record for three straight years. So let's just say despite everything that's been going on the past few weeks, the fact of the matter still remained that they needed me a hell of a lot more than I actually needed them.

I opened the door to the "VIP" locker room, memories flashing back to that day Diana had played her infamous glitter prank on me. Thinking back, I smiled to myself at how ridiculous our little war with each other was—it seemed years rather than just a month ago that it had all gone down, and now I couldn't imagine whatever made me resent Diana enough to start such a stupid fight with her. Well, it may have been stupid, but at least it was still one hell of a fight.

The pleasant, nostalgic feeling evaporated and quickly turned into growing irritation when as soon as I entered through the doorway, the loud chatter from the other vampires instantly dimmed to a low murmur. They all turned to look at me, and it took everything in me not to go up and punch every single one of them in the damn face. I got to my locker then, which was bare.