Chapter 12: Friends close but Enemies closer

AIDEN

Okay, this is really weird.

Either I'm going crazy or for the past week I've really been seeing what I think I've been seeing.

That is, seeing Diana act completely nice towards me for once. It's like she's done a complete 180. She was being friendly, and I don't know why. 

Okay well maybe I did, but Diana didn't seem like the type of girl to change the way she felt about someone just like that, especially someone who she's openly loathed and hated with a passion since day one. In that case, maybe it's not me who's going crazy...maybe it's her...

It started off a day after I had my little "talk" with my fan-club. I passed by her once in the hallway, and I'd braced myself for the cold glare I was expecting to recieve from her. However, she simply smiled and waved. I had to do a double-take, thinking I was surely hallucinating. But no, when I looked back, she was still there smiling at me.

I had to say it was a nice change from the usual expressions she had plastered on her face; when she was smiling, you could actually tell how pretty she actually was, which I know is contradictory since I'd called her "fucking ugly" in the past, but in all honesty I didn't actually mean it (could you blame my mentality at the time? It's not my fault she pisses me off almost ninety percent of the time). Being the fool I was, I ended up not being able to help myself from smiling back. Then she was out of sight, and after I realized what I'd just done, I quickly wiped it off of my face. I scolded myself for letting myself get lost in her smile—for all I knew, it was a smile of deception.

From then on I made the promise:

No matter how much she seems to have changed, NEVER trust Diana.

At first, it was pretty easy, all she would do was smile and wave at me. But then those smiles and waves would evolve into actual "hello"s and "hey"s, and then finally she actually started talking to me in Vampire Studies. Like we'd actually have conversations with each other—wIthout trying to rip each others' throats out. And not only that; she was actually pretty decent to talk to. I had a feeling that if I weren't a vampire, this whole feud never would've happened, and we actually could've been friends. Who knows, maybe even—

Yeah, I had to stop my thoughts there. That was just going to have to be a road best left untraveled.

Continuing my thoughts from where they left off before making that twisted turn; sure, she'd have to split the time between me and her "friend," whose name I'd finally (after forcing myself to actually ask Diana) found out was Luke. And though he tried not to show that it bothered him, I could just see the barely imperceptible signs of frustration every time she turned once again to talk to me. It was so obvious he wanted her, and it just made me hate him even more; what right did he have to act all possessive over her? Still, I couldn't deny seeing the attraction level between the two, and though I hated to admit it, it sucked to know how much she wanted him, too.

Uggh, what the hell? Since when did I care about who Diana likes—it's not my problem! REMEMBER THE PROMISE!

Over a period of the next few weeks, however, she was slowly making it really hard for me to remember that. I'd decided to not be obvious about my distrust toward her and play along with her game, but it was like she knew exactly what to do or say to make me forget it yet again. I was starting to warm up to her. And I didn't like it.

Not one bit.

The bell rang, dismissing everybody from their last class of the day. I looked over at Diana, who seemed to be intimately whispering something to Luke. They were a little too close for my liking, and I had to fight the urge to go over there and pull them apart. That was yet another strange effect Diana's been pulling over me—if she were any other girl, I probably wouldn't even give a shit.