Chapter 1: High School Sucks, Too

As I parked my red Pontiac Firebird in the school parking lot, I gathered my stuff as slowly as possible, making sure I did everything I could to delay getting out of the car. However, it didn't take long for me to run out of excuses, and I knew that if I stayed any longer, it would only be because I was too chicken to go inside.

I am not a chicken.

So I took a deep breath before reluctantly forcing myself out of the car. Right as I reached the large double doors of Lake Woodlands High School, however, I stopped again. Going through those doors meant I wouldn't be able to leave for another eight hours. It meant I'd have to start yet another day of high school.

Another day of absolute hell.

Sighing, I pushed opened the double doors and made my way inside.

As usual, the totally cliche cliques were at their normal spots. The art geeks were gathered in their little circle the latest artwork they'd submitted to their art shows. Band nerds stuck together as they talked about band drama and/or how hard their latest music piece was. Actual nerds sat gathered with half of them appearing to be studying calculus, the other half playing Pokémon Then there were the populars-the jocks and the cheerleaders, who I just knew were talking about the most superficial bullshit you could think of. Of course. The stereotypes were just so redundant and common, I don't even think I need to elaborate any further.

As I entered the building, it all seemed like everything was normal. That is, however, until I could feel everyone staring at me. I did mention before that my dislike of vampires isn't exactly an unknown secret, right? Well, at school it pretty much made me infamous.

Unfortunately, not in a good way.

And earlier, did I say everyone was "staring" at me? See, I believe the more accurate term for that would be "glaring." 

Confidence, Diana. Confidence. Do NOT let them get to you.

Taking my own advice, I pretended to ignore the stares-ahem-glares coming from practically everybody and walked down the rest of the hallway, using up whatever ounce of courage I had left to try to look as if they didn't bother me.

Hoping I could make it down the rest of the hallway without having an "incident" happen, I walked as quickly as I could. Spotting the corner just a few feet away I silently thanked God that no such thing happened. However my hopes were dashed when just as I rounded the corner, I ran into something. Or should I say, someone.

Crap, what now?

Whoever I'd bumped into was certainly tall and male. My eyes were only level with his chest; a very muscular chest, I suddenly realized. Slowly, my eyes wandered up from his muscled chest to his broad shoulders, to his chiseled jaw (yes I just used the word chiseled to describe his jaw, that's how perfect it was), and then finally to his light blue eyes. Eyes that were looking down at me with what looked like a mixture of confusion, irritation, and curiosity all at the same time.

It only took me a second to realize who I'd just bumped into.

Fuck...

Our gaze broke away when we heard a cough, a very feminine cough, to our left. As I looked to see who it was, I had to fight the urge to roll my eyes. Uggh, Celine-A.K.A. Queen Bitch.

Or maybe that was just my nickname for her...

She regarded me with her cool, emerald eyes and a sneer she probably didn't even realize she had on. "Hello, freak," she said in a voice filled with contempt.