Chapter 2: Who's she?

AIDEN

I watched as the human girl walk away with a mixture of disbelief, awe, confusion, and irritation all at the same time. No one's ever walked away from me before-not even a fellow vampire-and I didn't know whether I should be more perturbed or fascinated.

Even from our short little encounter I could already tell she was different from the rest of the humans attending this god-forsaken school. For one, the way she'd talked to us was definitely not how every other human talked to me. Most of the time, they'd either try to flirt with me in hopes of being the one I took to bed that night, or they'd just try to tell us how "perfect" or "awesome" we were. Never had any human actually gotten angry at us before, and I had to be lying if I didn't find it just a little bit attractive to see it come from her.

That thought brings me to my next point; she didn't swoon even a bit when I turned on the dazzle-my nickname for my signature smile that all women, and even a few men, couldn't resist. It was incredibly unusual that it didn't affect her at all, which made me wonder if she was a lesbian. That would be a shame, considering she was actually pretty cute...

Aggh, what am I thinking?

Why was getting so worked up over one girl? She was human, nothing special. From my experience of being around humans for as long as I have, I've come to the conclusion that the only things they were good for were blood and sex-preferably both at the same time.

Hmm...

What would it be like if that girl and I were to do it? I could already imagine the feel of her soft, creamy skin against mine, her panting and screaming out my name; and just to add the perfect finishing touch, my bite bringing the both of us to ecst-

"Aiden, are you there?" a very annoyed female voice asked, interrupting my fantasy. I hadn't even realized I was still staring in the direction the girl-who was already long gone-had walked away in.

"Y-yeah," I stuttered before clearing my throat and saying more firmly, "Yeah."

Celine raised her eyebrows at that. I never stuttered.

Then she stepped closer and appeared to scrutinize me through narrowed eyes. Just as I was about to ask her what was wrong, she scowled and said, "Your fangs are out."

Taken by surprise, I used my tongue to feel for my incisors, and-sure enough-they were out. Shit, I hadn't even noticed. For us vampires, our fangs only ever came out on their own if: a) we were extremely hungry, or b) we were extremely aroused. You can probably guess which of those applied to me (though I'll admit I was a bit hungry)...

"Don't tell me you were thinking what I think you were thinking..." she said, her voice steadily rising.

I smirked and gave her an expression that told her just how confusing that sentence was, which caused her to roll her eyes in exasperation.  

"Why? Who is she anyway?" I asked, not quite hiding my curiosity.

Celine looked at me in shock before she said, "You're kidding me. You seriously don't know?"

"No. Hence the reason I asked you in the first place," I said dryly.

She rolled her eyes yet again before she spat out, "She's scum. Trash."

It was my turn to roll my eyes as I said, "You know all of this information is very enlightening, but it doesn't really answer my question at all..."

She flipped me the bird before finally giving in. Sighing, she said, "Diana Louis. She's Diana Louis."

Diana Louis. Wait, isn't she-?

"The vampire-hater Diana Louis?" 

Giving me a look that would've won the award for most condescending as well as most likely to make you feel insulted, she replied, "Yes, unless there are any other Diana Louis's you know of."

I muttered something unintelligible under my breath at her remark. I hadn't been lying earlier when I'd said she was "a bit difficult," though that was probably the understatement of the year.

Getting back on track, I thought of my new revelation. So that was Diana Louis. She was pretty much known throughout the school for her extreme distaste for vampires. Because of that, everyone hated her. I, personally, had never met her until that moment a few minutes ago, though we were in the same grade and apparently had been going to the same school for the past three years, which made me suspicious as to whether she'd been avoiding me this whole time.

When I'd first learned of her and her problem with vampires, I'd simply shrugged it off. She could hate vampires if she wanted to-I didn't care, as long as she wasn't a danger to me or my kin (and considering I hadn't heard of her having any psycho rampages and going on any vampire killing-sprees, I decided she wasn't). So, ever since I'd learned of Diana Louis, not once have I ever joined in with the other humans and even vampires who hated on her, figuring that so long as she left me alone, I'd leave her alone.

"Hello? Earth to Aiden!" Celine exclaimed in an irritated voice that was starting to piss me off.

"What?" I asked, making sure she could hear just how annoyed I was at the moment.

 She smirked. "You weren't responding. Wow, just look how much of an impact Diana's already made on you!" she taunted, making sure to coo Diana's name to add an even greater effect to her words.

"Whatever. I was just wondering how I hadn't even seen her once in the past three year,." I replied, trailing off at the end.

Celine's smirk widened as she said, "Well that's because she's been avoiding you, stupid."

I glared at her.

So my suspicions were correct...

"But why me? I hear she runs into you and the rest of us all the time, but never me."

She raised her eyebrows and gave me a smug, self-satisfied grin. "Who knew that Aiden Vaughan, the vampire who's apparently got it all figured out, could be so clueless?"

A muscle ticked in my jaw. "Just answer the question, Celine," I said, all hints of playfulness gone.

She tsked, obviously enjoying my frustration, before she finally said, "Because out of all of us vampires, she apparently hates you the most."

I couldn't explain the effect Celine's words had on me just then. I couldn't explain the anger that surged throughout me or the even stronger disappointment I felt that suddenly hit me like a punch to the gut. This whole time, I thought we had a sort of unspoken agreement that had me thinking the way we felt about each other was mutual, especially considering I've never done anything to her unlike practically everyone else in this school. I definitely hadn't been expecting her to basically despise me. Hell, we hadn't even said a word to each other until today! 

Whatever. She can hate me if she wants. After all, there are so many other, much better-looking, humans anyway who would love to have the fortunate pleasure of even just being next to me.

Remembering for once that Celine was still there and I hadn't responded to her yet, I finally shrugged and said, "Her loss."

Celine smiled an actual smile-not one filled with sarcasm or deception-and she replied, "Now that's the Aiden Vaughan I know."

Just then, the bell for first period rang, and Celine and I followed as pretty much everyone in the hallway rushed to their first class. I couldn't help as my thoughts turned back to Diana.

What a pity...

And to think that for a second I actually thought she might have been the first human ever that I could see myself liking.