Chapter 17: Executioner

Ev felt his rage fill his entire body and a searing hatred. He noticed the window in the room was open. He went over to it and saw a black hooded figure running down the street. Ev pulled out the revolver and fired four shots at him. One shot hit him in the waist and another in the ear. The hooded mysterious man yelped in pain and continued running around the corner.
"No. No. No."! Yelled Ev
He grabbed a knife and threw it at the wall as hard as he can. He looked down at Maddie's poor broken body.
"I'm sorry..." he said
He slowly picked up her body and carried it back to the Y. He went inside and tried to find the others.
"Hello..."? He croaked
Bob came out of a room on the right.
"Oh my god..." said Bob
Ev stood frozen in the hallway.
"Guys..." said Bob
Jakob and Jim came out into the hallway. Everyone stood frozen. Ev could feel tears running down his cheeks. He slumped down onto his knees. Jakob grabbed a shovel and went out back. Bob went over and tried to take the body away from Ev, but he was unsuccessful. Bob sat down next to him.
"Hey...um...Ted was bit...and...Jakob...cut...his infected arm off..." said Bob
Ev nodded slightly a bit.
Jakob spent twenty minutes digging a grave.
"It's ready..." he said
Ev brought her body out and placed her in the grave.
"Goodbye..."
After everyone paid their respects the three of them went inside. Ev sat in his room for hours. Eventually he got up and packed a bag. Jakob came in while he was doing this.
"What are you doing "? Asked Jakob
"I'm going to find and kill the bastard who did this" said Ev darkly
"Fine...but I'm going with you " said Jakob
Bob had overhead the conversation from the hallway and peeked his head in.
"Me too" he said
Ev sighed then nodded.
"Fine"
Jim sat by Ted in the makeshift hospital room. Ted's left arm had been bandaged up to stop the bleeding. Ted was fast asleep, he had passed out when Jakob cut his arm off. Jim was happy that his friend didn't have a violent end.
Adam stared at the food and water left at his door. He didn't feel hungry, he felt alone. Then he heard something at the door. Jakob opened it up.
"Me Ev and Bob are going out to find the culprit...you're aloud out until we get back"
Jakob's look and voice became serious.
"Don't. Try. Anything." Said Jakob
Adam nodded slightly
"Good " said Jakob
Ev and Jakob and Bob went back up to the house that Maddie was murdered at. Ev went down to the end of the street where he shot the figure. He saw a blood trail leading away. The three of them followed it until they found some bandages. There were some unused bandages along with some wrappers of used ones. Ev was about to burst out in anger that they had lost the trail, but then saw car tracks in the muddy road.
"Perfect " said Ev
The three of them started to follow the tracks. The road went on for a while and then went into a sort of fielded area. They walked for a bit longer then they saw the building. An elementary school by the name of Kilmer. Ev saw a car parked in the front. He walked up to it and checked out its tires. They had the same pattern as the ones in the road. Ev then quickly did everything he could to disable the car. Once this was done the three entered the school. Unlike almost every other building they had been in this one was completely clean. Like no one ever stepped foot in it. Ev looked around and saw no sign of life.
"Jakob go check the roof" said Ev
Jakob nodded then went off.
"Bob look for a basement "
"Ok" said Bob then went off into the school. Ev walked around the building and found the principal's office. He went inside and found a black hoodie. He checked it. It had a hole where the persons ear would be. He sat down in the chair and looked around the desk. He found a portfolio in a drawer. He opened it up. It had pictures in it of Maddie. Everyone one of them had the Y in the background. He now knew what the noises were that he had heard multiple times. He took and put it in his backpack. He looked further in the drawer. He found a long bladed knife in the back. The blade curved up towards the tip. It had blood on it. This must have been what had killed Maddie. He frowned thinking about it. He then saw a red wire coming out from under the desk. He looked under the desk and saw a button. He pressed it. In another room nearby he heard something moving. Bob and Jakob walked into the room.
"Nothing on the roof"
"No basement "
"There was a room full of dead bodies" said Bob "all female"
"Whoever this is, is a sick screwed up person" said Ev
Ev got up and walked into the next door room. The table that was in there had been lifted up. Under it was a staircase leading downward. Ev got his new knife ready and his revolver in the other hand. The three descended into the hall below the ground. They looked down the barely light hallway. At the end was a security door. Ev looked at the walls. They were lined with swords and knives of all kinds.
"Go and take these upstairs " said Ev
Bob and Jakob did so. While they were doing this Ev approached the security door. He tried to open it but it was locked. He started to fiddle with the lock with a knife. He eventually heard a hiss then the door swung open. He walked inside. The room looked much like a lab. On the walls were tons of pictures of girls.
"What the hell " said Ev quietly
He then saw a picture of Gen.
"Great " said Ev
Suddenly a door to Ev's left opened up. A man walked out of what looked to be a bathroom. Ev pointed his revolver at him. The man panicked and reached for a gun.
BANG
Ev shot him square in the head. He fell down on his side. Ev went over to see if this was his wanted man. A pair of hands went around Ev's neck. A knife followed but he pushed back into the attacker so the knife missed. He broke free and turned and looked at the attacker.
It was Quest.
He also was missing his ear.
Ev felt his hatred reach an unimaginable level. Quest had a large knife in his hand.
"You"! Yelled Ev
"I'm going to kill you"! Yelled Ev
Ev lunged at Quest with his knife. Quest parried and returned a blow. Ev also knocked it aside. Quest then kicked the revolver out of Ev's hand.
Ev brought his knife downward which grazed Quest's side. Ev stepped back then charged Quest head on. Quest met the blow midway and the two threw each other to the ground. Ev felt his chest wound hurt badly. He put a hand to it and started coughing. Quest came over and kicked him in the side. Ev fell over. Quest was about to bring the knife down into Ev's head. Ev told himself He wasn't going to die this way. He sliced Quest in the shin. Quest stumbled backward. Ev got up and felt a new energy run through him. Quest swung and Ev parried it then sliced both of Quest's shins in one swing. He fell down onto his knees. Ev felt the thrill increase. Quest reached for the bathroom door handle but swung his knife at his arm. It took Ev a second to realize he just cut Quest's arm off. Blood spurred over Ev's shirt. Quest sat on his knees in extreme pain.
"Why did you do it" said Ev
Quest remained silent
Ev kicked him hard so that he was laying on his back. Ev grabbed his revolver.
"Last chance" said Ev
Quest said "I enjoyed it"
Ev stared at him for a second then.
BANG
Ev dragged Quest's body upstairs and hung it off the roof of Kilmer. Bob and Jakob didn't question him about what happened but they knew it was bad. When they got back to the Y Adam had a fire going out in the parking lot. Everyone sat around it. At one point Jakob was giving a nice little speech to everyone. While he was doing this Ev took out the pictures he took from Quest's bunker and threw them into the fire without anyone noticing. As the night grew on and everyone was going inside Ev came by and patted Adam on the back.
"You're welcome " said Ev
Adam was confused but he didn't really think about it to much. Ev knew though he had stopped Gen from suffering the same fate as Maddie did. Ev looked off into the night, wandering what would come about tomorrow or the day after that. He felt a growing darkness inside of him. Something that Maddie saw but voiced it. He felt the dying of the light inside of him.