Chapter 10: The Duel

Adam spend down the road he was coming back from a supply run. He had heard gunshots coming from the elementary school. He and the others were staying there. He pulled up to the front and jumped out of the car. He ran inside and saw everyone standing around.
"What happened "? Asked Adam
"Ev tried to sneak in again " said Ted
"Where is he"? Asked Adam
"We dunno" said Ted
"I'm right here " said Ev as he dropped down from the balcony
"And I bring you a message" continued Ev
"What do you want "? Asked Adam
"Jakob has challenged you to a duel" said Ev with a smirk
"What"? Said Adam confused
"You have one day to prepare...you two shall fight in the high school stadium" said Ev
"Why couldn't he tell me himself "? Asked Adam
"Cause he's preparing...as I would recommend you be doing right now " said Ev
"Fine" said Adam
"Splendid " said Ev eying a bag full of food
Before anything else could happen Ev grabbed the bag and ran for it. Jim and Ted opened fire at him. All the shots missed and Ev ran out a broken window. They followed him and shot at him as he ran into a ditch. Ev got down on his stomach and started crawling into the forest. Ted sighed
"He's gone" said Jim
Adam went off to another room to train. Once Ev was far enough away he got up and started walking back. He inspected a revolver he stole from them. It had a 5 shot capacity and he found 20 bullets with it. He liked it, he would keep it with his knives. While he was there he also found 30 throwing knives which he took with great delight. Once he got back to the Y he told Jakob that Adam accepted. Jakob smiled.
"Good" He said
The next day Jakob then continued his working out session. Ev and Bob did some practice of their own. They took turns using the throwing knives. They had been doing that for about an hour when they heard Maddie scream. Ev ran out of the room followed by Bob. They found her sitting on top of a car. Across the way they saw a bunch of sickos eating something. Maddie said it was mrs.Boom. Ev and Bob took her inside to calm her down.
"Shhh it's okay " said Ev calmly
Ev rocked her in his arms in an attempt to get her to calm down. Bob had left to go see how Jakob's training was going. It was going well and Jakob said he'd be ready for Adam. Ev continued what he was doing until she fell asleep. When she did he then laid her down on the couch and went outside. He started walking towards the sickos when he heard something. It sounded like something or someone was running away. When he looked for it he couldn't see anything. He went over to the sickos and dealt with them. He saw the body of mrs.Boom. It was all torn up. He went off to the back to start digging a grave. Jakob lowered his axe, he was ready. He wanted to show his dominance over Adam. He walked out of the weights room and started suiting up. Adam was shaking, all he had to fight Jakob was a large knife he had made. He didn't think he could do it. Honestly everyone else there thought the same. Adam had tested out the knife on a sicko and it kinda worked, but it wouldn't be able to block a blow from Jakob's axe. Adam and the others got into the car and started to head to the high school. Jakob, Bob, Maddie and Ev waited in the stadium. The other car pulled up and the other group got out. Ted, Jim and Eddy sat in the stands. Gen stood with Adam. Ev, Maddie and Bob sat in the stands. Gen told Adam that it would be okay then left for the stands. Adam and Jakob stood across each other.
"Let it begin"! Yelled Ev
Jakob ran head on towards Adam. Adam tried to dodge it but was hit in the side. He fell into the mud. Jakob laughed at the easy takedown. Adam shot up and punched Jakob in the jaw. This stunned Jakob long enough for Adam to get up. Jakob swung a return swing that nailed Adam in the chest. Adam stumbled back then looked down at his chest and saw red. He felt a pain in his chest. Jakob had cut him down with the edge of the axe. Everyone watched in the stands. Adam fell down to one knee.
"You win..." said Adam