Chapter 27

(Liz Beth's POV)
I wake up in Jonathan's arms. His grip doesn't loosen as I try to slip out.

Those punches were meant for me. Not him.

I remember Jonathan getting punched repeatedly in the stomach and a bad one in his face. I lift the bottom of his shirt up and see bad bruising on his stomach. I gasp. I hear Jonathan wake up and I pretend that I am still sleeping.

He sits up and groans and I let out a sob.

"Lizzy, I know that you aren't asleep."

I open an eye and look at him. He laughs and touches his stomach, flinching.

I sit up and he reaches for me. I pull away. He watches me as I stand up. I grab some clothes and head to the bathroom.

I take a shower, brush my hair and teeth, get dressed and head downstairs.

I see Andrew sitting at the table. He smiles at me and I smile back. I start making pancakes, when I feel someone behind me. I turn around and see Jonathan. He tries to wrap me in a hug, but I dodge it at the last second.

Andrew laughs. "What's so funny," Jonathan demands.

"You two." I stare at him. "Lizzy, come here." I look between Jonathan and Andrew and take a step closer. "Come here, Lizzy. I'm not going to hurt you." I go over to Andrew. Immediately, he wraps me in a hug.

I sob into his chest. "What's wrong, Lizzy?"

I point at Jonathan and mumble,"he's so perfect and my sister was right. I stole him from her. Now she won't even talk to me and he is hurt because of me. He has saved me so many times and my dad was right. I am weak and fragile and I don't like it. And I know it's such stupid stuff, but it bugs me and I don't know what to do." He holds me against him until I calm down.

When I look up, I don't see Jonathan. "Where did he go?" I ask Andrew. I see the pain in Andrew's eyes.

"He's right behind you."

I turn around and see Jonathan. He has tears his eyes. He is on his knees, to get to my height. He opens his arms to hug me.

"Lizzy, I took the pain because I don't want to see you hurt. You didn't steal me from anyone. You already had me. You are small and defenseless to almost everyone. That's why I'm here to protect you. Yes it is some stupid stuff to worry and be upset about, but I am always right here for you. Always. I love you, Lizzy." He kisses my nose.

"Ok, guys," I hear Andrew say. I look him. Pain is still in his eyes, even though he smiles. I hug him quickly as Jonathan stands up.

I grab an ice pack from the freezer and hand it to Jonathan. He takes it and smiles. That's when I smell the burning.

The forgotten pancakes have burned and I quickly turn off the griddle.

"So much for breakfast," I mumble. I throw the pancakes away and sit at the table.

Jonathan makes me a cup of coffee and I take it. I smile at him and he kisses my forehead.