Chapter 13

Chapter 13-

*Zach’s P.O.V*

All three of us sit there, staring at one another.

“You’ve got to be pulling our leg.” I say.

Patricia shakes her head. “Unfortunately it’s true.”

Well that shuts me up. I knew she was hiding something but I never thought it could possibly be this big. What’s Palmer going to think? His whole childhood was a lie, everything that he thought was, was only on giant messed up lie.

“What did you do to make him call you an aunty then?” Elliot asks.

“I couldn’t look after him, I couldn’t protect him.” Patricia says.  

“Protect him from what?” I ask. What’s with this family and secrets. I know when I see Elliot roll his eyes that he’s thinking the same thing.

She leans back and shakes her head. “From his father, his real father.” She says.

“Who’s his real father?” Elliot wonders.

“I don’t know.”

I rub my eyes. This whole episode is like something out of a cheesy movie. “Then how do you know you need to protect him?” I ask.

“I don’t know exactly.”

There’s a thump and we both jump. Shocked I look to Elliot just as he gets to his feet, a furious expression on his face. “We’re getting nowhere with you dodging the answers, you either answer or I’ll make you answer!” He yells.

For a moment she looks scared and then the next her face is like marble, not a single emotion showing. “As I was saying,” She looks pointedly to the chair with a raised eyebrow.

With the mumble of words and a grunt Elliot pulls up his chair that must have fallen over during him little tantrum and he sits back down. I swear I can even see the steam coming from his ears he’s that pissed off.

“It’s just a gut feeling,” Patricia continues, “and over the years I’ve learnt to trust my gut.”

I’m about to reply when the back door opens. All three of our mouths slam shut. The tension hanging above our head like a knife on thread disappears when Palmer walks in the room. At first he doesn’t notice us but after getting a drink he turns around to find us all sitting at the table, obvious that we were in a deep conversation.

He looks at each of us individually and opens his mouth to say something. He creases he eyebrows, shakes his head and walks from the room as if he realised it wasn’t worth the effort asking what we were talking about.

I release a breath I didn’t know I was holding and slump down in my chair. I don’t know what I would have said if he asked. We’re not sure if the mating process worked the way it should but if it did I wouldn’t have been able to lie to him and neither would Elliot, Patricia knew that too but luckily she kept her mouth shut.

“I have to talk with Palmer.” Patricia says, standing from the chair.

As she walks past me to the door I grab her arm in a solid but loose grip as not to hurt her. She stops and looks at me. “Don’t tell him about what we were just talking about.”

A small smile plays on her face and she laughs lightly, “I’m not going to speak a word, all I’m telling him is that I accept you two.” She thinks for a moment as she gets a faraway look in her eyes. “You’ll put yourself in front of him to save him.” I smile and release my grip. That’s true.

~@~

*Palmer’s P.O.V*

Aunty Pat walks in the room with an apologetic look on her face. She sits next to me on the couch I turned upright. “What do you want?” I ask quit rudely but at the minute I don’t care how I speak to her. She knows how much these two mean to me, they’re practically my first friends since, ever.

“Look,” she collects what she’s going to say. “I’m sorry I didn’t accept them there’s just, things they’re hiding from you.”

I raise an eyebrow, “Like what?” They don’t seem like the type of people to keep secrets.

She looks sorry again, “That’s up to them to tell you, not me.” She sighs as if it’s a bad idea to what she’s about to say. “I know I said that I didn’t want you to hang out with them but I take that all back. They really are nice boys.” She smiles quickly before she points a finger at me with a raised eyebrow, “But if they hurt you in any way I will kill them.”

I smile, there’s no doubting that threat. She really would kill them. “Okay,” A smile comes onto my face unintentionally and I jump up, hugging her tightly around the neck. “Thanks Aunty Pat.”

After a while she relaxes and rubs her hand on my back. She sighs and I can tell she wants to say something else but I don’t mention it. A few minutes later she releases me with a tight smile on her face, “Now off you go, have fun.”

I smile and walk back into the kitchen where Elliot and Zach sit waiting for me. When I enter they look at me and stand up. “What do you want to do?” I ask.

“How about we go to the park?” Elliot suggests. I shake my head with a smile on my face. Such a child.

“To the park it is.” I say and begin to lead the way.

“Why don’t you take your little wolf friend as well, she seems pretty lonely.” Aunty Pats voice calls out from the lounge room.

I sigh but call Coco anyway. “Here Coco!”

A few seconds later she comes bounding down the stairs, nearly losing her footing and falling down.

“I’m going to need a leash and collar.” I say to myself. Just as I say that a hand pulls out in front of me, holing exactly that. I look to see it being Zach. “Thanks.” I say, taking them and fixing it onto Coco.

With a few failed attempts I finally get them on her. We walk to the park with nothing but the cars passing by making noise. Somehow none of us feel the need to replace the silence with useless words. The silence really is something beautiful.

“We’re here.” Elliot say, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I shake my head to get my senses back and stop walking. For a minute I stand there looking at the park and the sinking sunset colouring the sky a bloody red behind the distant trees.

I sigh and make my way over to Zach and Elliot sitting at an old wooden bench. I take a seat on the far side. Lately it just feels like the weight of the world is on my shoulders.

“What’s that?” Elliot asks, pointing to the darkening sky. I look up just in time to see a bright white light flash across the sky. Coco howls loudly. Wolves howl all around us, the noise echoing everywhere.

“What in God’s name was that?” Zach whispers softly under the howls.

I shake my head, unable to form the words I need. Something in my gut jumps and I turn my attention to the trees on the other side of the park. Between the trees stands that same man, the one that just won’t leave me alone. There’s another sudden flash of light and he’s gone. What is going on? I feel like yelling but don’t. 

~@~

Thanks for everyone reading, i hope you like this chapter. It's late i know but i've been super busy <3 also if you've read this can you please tell me what day it is in the book? I really can't remember... :/