Chapter 8

Chapter 8-

“You have to; the car’s going to sink.” He says urgently, “You don’t have long.”

“Why can’t you come?” I ask.

“My seatbelt’s stuck.”

~@~

We walk to school in silence, the two others still glaring at each other. This has got to stop. I stop walking and turn to face them. They both stop and look at me confused.

I scowl at them both. “You two either stop glaring at each other or you can both go and walk on your own.”

The share a look before Zach shrugs and walks so he’s standing by my side. Elliot blows out a breath of air and stands next to me, scowling at the ground silently. Better than nothing. We continue to walk to the school in complete that same complete silence.

What feels like hours later we reach the school and we walk in. Everyone’s eyes instantly snap to the new kids. I roll my eyes and walk ahead as a group of girls surrounds them. Stupid girls.

I put everything in my locker just as the bell goes. Great, I hate school. I really don’t see the point of it when every teacher fails me anyway. I walk to period 1 with my hands deep in my pockets and my head down, my black hair covering my eyes.

I take a seat at the back corner and wait for the lesson to start. 10 minutes through the lesson there’s a knock at the door and Zach enters. I close my eyes and lay my head back down on my arms that are draped over my desk.

I listen as a chair scrapes beside me. I don’t bother to look up and meet Zach’s eyes that I feel watching my every move. As soon as the bell goes I quickly get to my feet and move off to the next classroom. That happens for the whole day. Every one of my class has either Zach, Elliot or both.

Finally it becomes lunch time and I walk into the cafeteria hoping to escape them but as soon as they see me they walk over and follow me where I sit under a shaded tree. Every once in a while I feel myself watching the trees for any sign of Henry but  there is none every time.

“Are you alright?” Elliot asks, pulling me out of my thoughts.

“Yeah I’m fine, why?”

He takes a bite of his sandwich, shaking his head, “You just keep looking off into the forest.”

I shrug. “I feel-”

There’s an itch in my throat and before I can continue talking I’m hunched over coughing into my mouth. I pull away and look at my hand. The same black ink soaks my hand. I scrunch up my nose and pull out a tissue, wiping it away.

“What was that?” Zach and Elliot ask in horror.