A Royal Wedding

Clarissa

***

May 8 was finally here.

Clarissa's wedding day.

The preparations were complete, everything taken care of, and everything was running smoothly.

But Clarissa flitted around, anxious, seeing to everything and nervously wringing her hands.

Katherine, her maid of honor, sat her down on her bed and put her hands on her shoulders. Beth, Corra, and Theresa closed the door and leaned against her wardrobe, arms crossed.

"Calm down, Clarissa. You are about to have the wedding of the century, and you haven't started getting ready yet. The bride is kind of the main part..."

Clarissa's shoulders slumped.

"I'm just nervous. There's a lot of people."

She wrung her hands, biting her lip. Her anxiety level was almost off the charts.

Katherine looked deeply into her eyes.

"Forget them. Xavier will be waiting at the altar, and he's the only one who matters. Okay? Chill. Now, let's get Elizabeth in here to help us get you ready."

Clarissa jumped up and hugged her best friend, then hugged her three other dearest friends. She took a deep breath and nodded.

"Okay."

Theresa ran to get Elizabeth and Katherine sat Clarissa down in the chair in front of her mirror and took her hair down from its bun, running her fingers through it.

She closed her eyes and let every inch of her be scrubbed, lotioned, prodded, and pampered. She had to hold onto her chair for support, Elizabeth laced her corset so tight. It was a sexy, low-cut corset, complete with matching underwear. Her cheeks flamed as she looked in the mirror. Her friends snickered, and Elizabeth even joined in.

"Shut up."

"Get it, girl!" Corra exclaimed.

Her face felt hot.

"Stop it," Elizabeth demanded, swatting at the girls. "Do not make her sweat."

They sobered up, shooting each other suggestive glances.

"But really, Clarissa, your husband is going to be quite pleased."

"Elizabeth!" Clarissa shrieked, so embarrassed she could have died on the spot.

Her friends clutched at their sides laughing. She reluctantly let out a little giggle and eyed herself in the mirror again. 

It was true, at least.

She stepped into the petticoat, letting Elizabeth adjust it, and then it was happening.

She was putting on her wedding dress.

Katherine did the pearl buttons on the back, and Theresa held her while Corra ducked under her plentiful skirts to slip her shoes on. Her servant and friends stepped back, admiring her.

Elizabeth started crying. Katherine slapped her hands to her cheeks. 

"Clarissa..." Theresa began.

"You look..." Beth added.

"Absolutely, stunningly beautiful. Perfect," Corra finished.

Clarissa blushed and smiled.

"Thank you." she murmured.

Elizabeth grabbed her veil and tiara, arranging them just so, and stepped back. A fresh wave of tears hit and she ran to the bathroom, blubbering. She returned with a handkerchief, dabbing at her face.