Intimidated

Two princesses arrived on the first day of March.

Clarissa, dressed in a beautiful dark green gown with gold embroidery, daisies braided into her long side braid, and very uncomfortable golden heels, greeted them along with Prince Xavier, Queen Isabelle, and King Charles. Her stomach turned each time she met a beautiful, exotic princess, and each time she saw Xavier kiss one on the hand and introduce himself.

He was very charming.

Only she was to know he loved her. His parents didn't even know.

They'd agreed the night before to stop meeting in private and flirting. There was a competition going on, and Xavier absolutely could not get tied up in it and get mixed in with Clarissa during the Games. It wasn't fair, and he could be in big trouble if anyone found out.

So Clarissa stood away from him, heart aching, and played nice with the princesses that were far more elegant and beautiful than she could ever be, but vowed to beat them all.

***

The princess next door came and knocked on Clarissa's door as she got ready for dinner. Her servant opened it, and a gorgeous blonde girl walked in. Her hair was straight and golden, her eyes hazel. She was tan and stick thin. Her golden dress brought out her eyes and hair. She was a golden vision.

She curtsied apon seeing Clarissa.

"Princess Katherine of Switza," she introduced herself.

"Princess Clarissa of Towoba," Clarissa replied with a curtsy.

That wasn't technically true, but no one knew any different since Towoba had agreed to let Clarissa represent them.

"It's lovely to meet you, Princess."

"Please, call me Clarissa."

"And you may call me Katherine."

"Thank you, Katherine."

The girl smiled, and her white teeth sparkled.

"May I get ready with you, Clarissa?"

"It would be my pleasure."

The girls turned to the mirror and started primping. Katherine braided a piece of Clarissa's hair and wove it into a few other pieces, giving her whole look more elegance. Clarissa lent Katherine her golden heels from the morning.

They were walking arm in arm by the time they reached the dining room. So this is what it took to make friends- a few kind words, playing with each other's hair, and lending each other shoes. It wasn't so bad. And Katherine was so sweet! Not stuck up and rude like Clarissa had assumed all of the princesses would be.

A very curvy princess with wildly curling light brown hair and light green eyes approached them as they made their way into the room. All three girls curtsied, acting very proper on their first night here.

"Princess Beth of Gerth," she introduced herself.

She was short and precious, Clarissa realized. Like a cute little doll.

"Princess Katherine of Switza."

"Princess Clarissa of Towoba."

"Call us Katherine and Clarissa," Katherine said with her charming smile.

"Call me Beth. Are you ladies freaking out, too, or is it just me?"

"It's not just you. Trust me," Clarissa replied.

"I almost threw up on the way here," Katherine whispered.

They giggled.

"I see you are all getting on just fine," a familiar, charming voice said from behind.

The girls turned around to see Xavier standing there, looking gorgeous in his prince attire. The sight of him all dressed up took Clarissa's breath away. She made herself avoid his eyes- she couldn't afford to get lost in them right now.

They all dipped into a curtsy, and Xavier bowed.

"Princess Katherine, Beth, and Clarissa, correct?"

Clarissa nodded and smiled. "That's correct, Prince."

They shared a secret smile and her heart raced.

Xavier led them to the table and pulled out a seat for each girl. He took a seat next to the head of the table, across from Beth. They all stood when the king and queen entered, then sat once they were seated.

Clarissa quickly grew to like Katherine and Beth very much. She decided being with the princesses wouldn't be so bad.

It was just the Games that she had to worry about.

***

The other seventeen princesses arrived the next day.

Clarissa liked most of them well enough, but Alaina of Hira was absolutely horrible. The girl was a beautiful ice queen, with her straight, nearly silver hair and icy blue eyes and snow white skin, and she acted the part. She was cold and aloof, snobbish, and mean. She made clevelry veiled insults at every oppurtunity and acted like the other princesses should worship the ground she walked on. She quickly gained two followers: Sadie of Borrom and Hannah of Robesto. 

Katherine and Beth quickly became Clarissa's best friends. She wasn't used to female friends, but already couldn't imagine life without them. They just...clicked.

Jane of Texil was nice enough, but very reserved and shy. Corra of Numbit was hilarious, but she was slightly crude and laughed too loudly. 

Clarissa was intimidated, despite liking the girls, and with good reason: these girls were born and raised as princesses.

While Clarissa could act royal and regal all she wanted, these girls were royal and regal. Their manners came naturally, their curtsies were like breathing, and even their voices were delicate and ladylike.

And she was competing against each one of them.

As she laid in bed that night, mind spinning with possibilites of the opening ceremonies the next morning, a tear rolled down her face.

She couldn't do this. No way.