Training

The next day, before the sun was even up, Clarissa learned how to eat properly, and what to talk about at meals. She learned when to speak, what tone of voice to use, when to use titles when speaking to someone at the table, how to sit just so, when to take a sip of wine, and how to take a ladylike sip of wine. She learned when to daintily dab her mouth with a napkin, where to place the napkin, when to reach for her fork and eat, when to wait for someone else to take the first bite. How to compliment the food, when to do so. 

Her head was spinning with her lesson when she reached the breakfast table. Who knew there was so much ettiquite in a simple meal? She hoped she wouldn't screw up. She couldn't bear to disappoint the queen.

Queen Isabelle had been a blessing. She was patient and kind, but she wasn't afraid to tell Clarissa when she was screwing up. They got along very well, and Clarissa had already started to think of her as a mother figure.

The king and Xavier were seated. Her heart sped up when she saw him, and she couldn't help the smile that spread across her face. They stood while the queen and Clarissa sat, Clarissa across from  Xavier, the queen across from King Charles. 

An attendant placed a napkin in Clarissa's lap, and she sat just so while a plate of fruit and delicious looking eggs and a glass of milk was placed before her. She waited for the king to reach for his silverware before following his example. She ate just so and did everything she'd been taught. 

"It's lovely to see you," Xavier said happily.

She smiled. "And you as well, Your Highness."

He looked towards his mother.

"Clarissa, you are allowed to call him Xavier when it is just us dining," she said with a smile. "It's casual with just us."

Clarissa relaxed, glad she wouldn't have to act proper and formal around him.

"I see your lessons are going well. Are you exhausted yet?" Xavier asked as his parents started their own conversation.

"Oh, you have no idea."

He laughed. "Well, you look stunning. Like a princess."

She blushed. "Thanks."

"So, what do you think of the Games?"

"It's a genius idea!" she exclaimed. "How did you think of it?"

"I thought of what I wanted in my bride and knew it was the only way to choose one. Of course, I want you."

She blushed again. "And I would like to marry you, too."

He grinned. "Well, we'll just have to make sure you keep doing this well in all your lessons. I believe you have tearoom ettiquite next."

Clarissa grimaced at him. He laughed. "Good luck."

He shuddered at the thought of sitting through a tea with other princesses and quickly changed the subject to hunting. Clarissa was more than happy to talk about that instead.

***

Tearoom ettiquite was excruciating. It was frivolous and boring and downright horrible.

"Clarissa, do sit up straighter and hold your shoulders back. Don't hide your womanly figure," the queen scolded.

"Yes, Your Highness. I apologize."

"Right. Now, ask about my plans for the next few weeks."

Clarissa adopted a formal, interested voice. "Your Highness, surely you don't have much time for frivolity. What will you be doing with your time in the next fortnight or so?"