The Games

Xavier

***

March 3 came way too quickly for Xavier's liking.

The two months with Clarissa at the castle had been amazing. She truly was a princess now, even if she was born a peasant. With her perfect black hair, snow white skin, and deep blue eyes, perfect posture, perfect build, perfect smile, and beautiful gowns, she certainly looked the part. She looked like a future queen. Even more, she acted the part. She was charming, funny, kind, compassionate, outgoing, regal, elegant, strong, and everything his kingdom needed.

Everything he needed.

He'd started praying every night that her training had been enough.

Now it had to be.

Because he was about to start the opening ceremonies.

His eyes roamed over nineteen princesses before coming to rest on her for a second. He admired the way her silver gown flowed like a waterfall over her, the way the pearls weaved into her hair made it look blacker, the soft waves that fell to her lower back. He admired the smile on her face as she spoke to Princess Katherine.

There were twenty beautiful princesses, but no others caught his eye in the slightest. 

He forced himself to look away objectively.

He was sitting between his parents on a stage outside, on the training grounds. Royals and a few townspeople from all over were gathered in the stands that had been assembled. The day was beautiful, the temperature perfect. He waited anxiously for the festivities to start.

A musician played the kingdom's anthem on the flute, and everyone stood. The princesses stood, hands clasped in front of them, shoulders back, and eyes forward. No more talking or joking.

This was happening.

"Welcome to the first ever Princess Games," the announcer began. "Here, twenty princesses from all over have joined together to comepete for Prince Xavier's hand in marriage."

The crowd woo'ed, and Xavier felt his cheeks heat up as he smiled. When you put it that way...

"Now I will introduce them."

Each princess had been allowed to bring their personal servant. Each servant stood with their princess, holding their kingdom's crest on a small banner.

"Princess Eve of Mejire."

A slender princess with pale skin, wild red hair, and green eyes came forward. She dropped into a curtsy while her servant presented the king with the Mejire's banner. Xavier kissed her hand and she blushed. "Princess," he said with a charming smile.

She was very pretty, but he was glad when she moved to the front of the stage to wait in a line.

"Princess Beth of Gerth."

Xavier recognized Clarissa's friend from dinner the first night. He smiled eagerly and kissed her hand, then she joined Princess Eve.

"Princess Ferrah of Maher."

A brunette with sparkling blue eyes curtseyed for him.

"Princess Sadie of Borrom."

Sadie was neither pretty or prettily built. Still, she possessed a snobbish air. 

"Princess Alaina of Hira."

The biggest competition for Clarissa that Xavier could see came next. She was absolutely, breathtakingly beautiful, but walked like she was a goddess and everyone else should worship her. She was too confident, too snobbish. Xavier found it repulsive, despite her beauty.