Hopeless and Hopeful

Clarissa

***

A letter came in the mail. 

It was addressed to Clarissa, and had the royal seal on the front. 

Her stomach dropped.

"Please, no," she whispered. 

Had they really invited her to the wedding?

It was the worst form of pain and humiliation.

With shaking hands and a heavy heart, she slowly broke the seal and took out the parchment. It was fine and thick, with a beautiful, scrawling script:

'Clarissa Reina,

You are cordially invited to join in the celebration of holy matrimony between Princess Alaina of Hira and Prince Xavier of Linatha. The ceremony will be held in the couryard of Castle Linatha at the hour of eleven on the ninth day of May. 

Sincerely,

Prince Xavier and Princess Alaina

P.S.

We really hope to see you, Clarissa. 

Best wishes,

King Charles and Queen Isabelle'

The invitation slipped from her hands and she slid to the floor, arms around her stomach. The world was spinning, and everything was blurry. She heard a strange noise and realized it was her own ragged breathing. The bluriness came from the tears that were steadily flowing now down her face.

She ached. 

All of her dreams for the future had officially gone out the window with that pretty little invitation. She'd known deep inside they would be married, but now it was actually happening. Plans were underway and they had sent out invitations. It was truly final now.

The part that stung the most was the post script from the queen and king. It was like they were saying "We still love you, and hope we can see you for a little while before you have to disappear from our lives forever. Too bad it's going to break your heart. Show up anyway and suffer with us."

Henry found her a little while later.

He ran to her side, pulling her close to his side. She buried her face in his shoulder, and he rubbed her back. 

He eyed the invitation and said nothing, but his arms tightened around her. 

"It's not fair," she whispered.

"I know."

"I love him."

"I know."

"What do I do?"

He pulled away just enough to look down at her.

"You go to the wedding. You show them and you that you are strong enough to get through this. Because you are. You will get through this and you will be happy one day."

She wiped her eyes, nodding.

"It just doesn't feel like it right now."

Her lips trembled, and he hugged her again.

"I know."

***

Xavier

***

The rough, winding path took Xavier through a densely wooded area, then opened up to a beautiful country lane. Exactly like the one he'd seen in his dreams lately.