The Final Game

Xavier

***

Xavier fell asleep with the memory of Clarissa fresh in his mind. He hoped they would have many more nights like the one they'd had tonight.

His dream started out normally. Really good, actually. He was twirling Clarissa around the dance floor, looking into her eyes, and they were laughing. He couldn't stop smiling. 

Then the lights dimmed a little. Xavier couldn't make out anyone's face. Everyone was a dark form on the dimly lit dance floor. It gave the whole room an eerie effect. His palms started sweating as the music slowed to a sloppy halt.

He looked around wildly, but couldn't make anything out. His heart started racing, and Clarissa was holding him tightly, scared. He was trying to calm her down, but she was ripped from his arms and Alaina was suddenly in his place. She raised a hand and a dagger glinted in the sparse lighting.

He woke up abruptly, drenched in sweat. He shuddered, unable to shake the weird feeling, and called for a quick bath. As his servants filled the tub with water, he tried to clear his head. He pictured Alaina, dagger raised, and something tugged at his brain. He focused on it and tried to think of whatever his mind was telling him to think of, but it was no use. There was a block in his mind, one that hurt when he tried to hard to get past it.

He dressed for the day, anxiety and dread filling the pit of his stomach. He had a very bad feeling about today's Games.

***

Clarissa

***

Today was the day.

Clarissa would compete to marry the man of her dreams, the man she loved more than life itself. 

Her stomach was full to the brim with butterflies and she was sweating all over her cotton gown from anxiety and stress. Her hands shook as she donned her sash and tiara and headed downstairs for the final competition, the one that would change her life.

She grasped Katherine's hand so tightly that both of their knuckles were white. Even Alaina was strangely quiet.

The audience waited with bated breath as the rules were announced.

"Princesses, you will do a simple race on horseback. You can choose to ride any style you like; side saddle is not necessary. You will be given wild horses and must control them and tame them enough to get them to do your bididng. The first princess to cross the finish line will win the first ever Princess Games," the queen told them. "I wish you all the best of luck, and sincerely thank you for your participation, and the strength and grace you have shown."

She walked off of the grass field of the stadium to the stage, where she clasped her husband's hand tightly. Xavier was very pale, and Clarissa knew he was beside himself.

Three horses were forced to the arena. They were wild and restless, eyes darting every which way. They kept rearing back and almost knocking the servants over.

A servant threw the reins at Clarissa and hurried away.

A horn sounded.

Alaina forced her way onto her horse, while Katherine tried to do the same.

Clarssa tuned everything out and gently got close to the horse. It tried to back away, frightened, and she made it meet her eyes. She sent it loving vibes.

"Shhh, it's okay, boy. It's okay," she murmured.

The horse looked like it would fight, but instead grew still and nudged her.