The Ball

Clarissa

***

Clarissa donned a maroon velvet gown, intricate gold thread everywhere, the colors of Towoba. A sparkling gold ribbon held her hair in a half updo, and Elizabeth had managed to get her waves to make loose ringlets. She was led outside, where the other two princesses stood. 

"And now," the announcer began, "I will announce the top three competitors in the first ever Princess Games."

The crowd cheered, and Clarissa thought she heard Henry.He would be here for the feast tonight, as well as the ball tomorrow.

She was unbelievably excited.

She'd made it to the last round. There was a feast with all of the represented kingdoms tonight, a grand ball tomorrow night, and the final Game (which would be watched by all of these people)  the next day. 

"Princess Katherine of Switza," the announcer called.

There was wild applause as Katherine appeared, dressed in a deep blue cotton gown, a layer of tule on the plain skirt. White pearls lined the neckline, sleeves where they met the wrist, and bottom of the tule layer (Switza's colors). Her golden hair was in a bun, curls framing her face. She had a headband made of pearl. She made her way to the stage to stand by Queen Isabelle.

She was radiant.

"Princess Clarissa of Towoba."

Clarissa took a deep breath and entered the stadium to as much, if not more, applause as Katherine. She made her way to the stage, a 'royal' smile on her face, waving regally.

She stood by Katherine, their arms touching for comfort. 

"Princess Alaina of Hira."

Alaina, in a black silk gown with silver beads adorning the bodice and sleeves (Hira's colors) and a silver beaded clip holding her hair in a pin straight half updo, made her way to the stage.

The princesses curtsied and accepted sashes and little tiaras. They were each presented with a bouquet of flowers. They answered a few questions about the Games so far for the crowd, interacted with the announcer a little bit, then stood for Linatha's anthem, and followed the royal family to the dining hall.

It had been transformed. Three insanely long tables took up the room, place cards everywhere. Clarissa was seated between Katherine and King Charles. She could see her family's card across from her, a little ways down. She grinned, suddenly excited. 

The princess's parents got to greet them first. Clarissa felt pride swell in her when she saw her family standing alongside the two kings and queens of other kingdoms. They held their own, and looked absolutely stunning. They weren't peasants today. They were royalty.

She reached Henry first, pulling him into a long, tight hug. His head was even with hers now, a fact that made her very sad and very happy at the same time. They hugged for what seemed like hours, tightly gripping each other like they were afraid the other would disappear. 

"I love you, Henry. Oh, you've grown so much!" she pulled away, eyes glistening.

He blushed. "Stop that." He looked down, cheeks crimson. "You look...like a princess, Clarissa. And, um...I love you, too."

A tear escaped before she could stop it, and she pulled her brother in for another hug. He relaxed for a moment, then pushed her away, face hilariously red. "Stop embarassing me," he whispered.

She laughed and embraced her parents, telling them she loved and missed them, how great they looked, accepting their praise.

She greeted the king and queen of Towoba when they were allowed in, thanking them with her whole heart for letting her represent them.