A Royal Request

Clarissa

***

Clarissa woke up late. She was disoriented and confused when she saw the sun shining at an angle that suggested it was some time in the afternoon.

Then again, she hadn't fallen asleep until almost dawn. 

Her family had let her sleep in, knowing how upset she was.

She was touched at the gesture.

Her eyes teared up, but her emotional moment was interrupted by a persistent knocking on the door.

She blearily forced herself up and swayed to the door. She looked out of the latch her father had built and saw a royal messenger.

Her stomach sunk with her heart. 

What was going on now? Hadn't the invitation been enough? What did they want now?

Was Alaina rubbing it in? Was she invited to the rehearsal? What? What could they possibly do to break her heart into even more pieces?

She steeled herself, took a deep, shuddering breath, and opened the door.

"Miss Reina?"

"That's me."

She hoped she appeared cool on the outside. She was falling apart on the inside.

"This is for you," the messenger said, holding out an envelope with the royal seal.

She took it and he bowed, leaving her. She slammed the door and leaned against it, sliding to the floor as she held the envelope in her hands. 

She remembered the last time she'd gotten a letter from the castle, and she actually felt sick to her stomach.

She couldn't stop looking at it. Her heart hurt, it was beating against her chest so hard. 

She threw it on the ground and it slid away from her as she put her head in her hands and tried not to start sobbing.

She clutched at her chest and breathed deeply, chanting calming things in her head until she had enough self control to open the envelope. 

She broke the seal, biting her lip so hard she tasted blood.

'Miss Reina,

Your presence at the castle has been requested immediately. We plan to see you in a day's time. 

Her Royal Highness Queen Isabelle'

Clarissa stared at the letter in shock. 

It wasn't something else about the wedding, and it wasn't something from Alaina.

Her heart soared.

She was wanted at the castle.

Her mind raced with possibilities as she ran around the house, throwing some bread in a bag and filling her canteen.

She couldn't squash the hope that had sprung up in her chest.

She braided her hair and put her traveling clothes on, swung the bag over her shoulder, grabbed a makeshift bow just in case, and hopped on Jack. 

She dug her heels into his side and had him sprint to the fields.

"Mother, Father, Henry!" she exclaimed.

They dropped their tools, running to her.

"What in the-"

"My presence has been requested immediately at the castle. They expect me in a day's time. I'm heading there now."

"Be careful," her mother murmured. "I don't want you hurt."

But she knew in her heart that there would be good news.

She smiled and blew kisses to her family.

"I love you all. I'll send news as soon as I find out why I'm there."

She was off then, waving in response to her family's enthusiastic well wishes.