xxi.

xxi. more than friends?

— • —

Louis had disappeared into the streets of Doncaster. Niall, Liam and Zayn wanted to go exploring which left me standing with Harry next to the tour bus. "Great." I muttered, leaning against the warm red bus.

"It looks like you're stuck with me!" Harry laughed.

"Well what do you want to do?" I asked him

"Since you grew up in this part of England I'll be glad to have a tour."

I shrugged and walked forward, towards the large road we were just on.

"So is that a yes?" Harry asked from behind me.

"Of course it is Harry! Now come along before I change my mind!" I heard Harry's feet race to catch up to me. Yes. This was going to be very interesting.

— • —

The sun was low in the sky when Harry and I sat in the park. We were eating McDonald's that Harry insisted we had to get. "Did you enjoy the tour of my hometown?" I asked him before placing a few fries into my mouth.

"It was great! I thought I would have been spotted but nope!"

"I guess it was you're lucky day Harry" I chuckled. We reverted back to silence for a while until Harry asked me a question.

"Rose?"

"What is it Harry?"

"Can I ask you something?" He was tossing his empty drink from side to side.

"Yeah sure." I didn't mind a bit of Q & A.

"Do you think men and women can be just friends." He said his words slowly.

"Duh of course I think they can."

"But is it true? Can they be just friends or is there always something more between them?"

"If both parties do have something between them then they can do whatever they want with their relationship." I shrugged.

"But what if..."

"What are you getting at Harry?" I asked curiously.

"Well..." Harry trailed off, looking in the opposite direction.

"Spit it out." I instructed him

"Ok. Well you are both adults now and I just think that the friendship from childhood can't function the same way as it once did." Harry sighed. He must have had that on his chest for a while now.

"What has Louis told you?" I asked him slowly

"Nothing" Harry frowned "That's why I'm curious."

I laughed lightly, "Louis and I have been friends for a decade. I don't think that just because we're both adults will change anything."

"What about me? Can we be more than friends?" Harry wiggled his eyebrows.

"Harry!" I exclaimed, throwing my empty burger container at him. "Of course not!"

Harry pretended to be sad, "Why?"

"You're too young and just don't rock my boat."  Poked my tongue at him.

"How can I be too young for you?" He paused, chewing his lip. "How old are you Rose?"

"Nineteen." I answered honestly.

"I thought you were only a year younger than Louis. He's turning 21 at the end of the year and...." He trailed off.

"Harry?"

"I know what tomorrow is." Harry replied smugly

"Shit." I mumbled

"Ha! So it is your birthday tomorrow! 20th I'm guessing." Harry stood up and did a little victory dance.

I rolled my eyes and stood up, grabbing Harry by the shoulders, "Tell a soul" I hissed, "And I'll make sure it's the last thing you do."

Harry looked at me with wide eyes and nodded. "What happens if someone finds out?"

"Well you know that violin case next to your bed?"

"Yeah" Harry nodded.

"Well in it is a violin, shoulder rest, rosin, spare strings and a bow. You see the bow is long and pointy."

"Oh" Harry moved out of my grasp and sat back on the bench.

"So tell no one Haz." I smiled before grabbing our rubbish. "We better head back to the bus, I heard Zayn say something earlier about Guitar Hero and Nando's"

"Alright Rose. Let's head back." We walked in silence for a while until we arrived at the back of the concert hall where the buses were parked. "So you really think there is nothing there between us."

I rolled my eyes. "Between you and me I highly believe that opposite sexes can be just friends. And I know you think that to."

Harry grinned before running ahead to the bus. I just stayed back and slowly went towards the bus one step at a time. Best friends can stay best friends no matter what. I thought to myself.

But what if they can't?