xiii.

xiii. ice-cream is the answer to anything

— • —

"Your hair is beautiful. Are you sure you want me to cut it?" The hair dresser, Niki, asked me for the tenth time.

"I'm sure." I nodded, smiling into the mirror. "If you don't cut it I'll probably end up doing a shabby job myself."

"Ok then Rose but if you regret it you'll just have to wait for it to grow again." Niki still didn't look happy as her comb ran through my hair, getting rid of the knots. "How short do you want it again?"

"Around 2 or so inches below my shoulders." I nodded. I didn't want it to be too short but I wanted to look different.

"Alright then. Let's start cutting."

I smiled and leaned back into the chair. I hadn't picked the length for no reason. It had been over a decade since my hair was shorter than my waist. My mum always told me that curly hair looked beautiful when it was past a person's waist. I agree with her. It did look nice but It was mighty heavy and mighty thick. My hair took ages to dry and ages to brush. Besides, this new haircut may be the thing that lightens my head of all my worries. I highly doubt that though.

— • —

I called Louis' home phone because I wanted to stop by and visit. I had just brought some ice cream and I wanted to share it with him. Every step I took seemed lighter now that my hair was shorter. I paced around outside of the grocery store as I waited for him to pick up. After about the 5th dial he picked up the phone.

"Hi! Who is this?" It was not Louis

"Why are you on Louis' phone?" I asked warily

"It's a home phone Rose. I live with him." He sounded like he was about to laugh, "Why are you ringing him?"

"I want to know where you two live. I want to come by."

"That's not the best idea Rose." Harry stated slowly. I heard someone's voice in the background. I couldn't tell who it was but it sounded like Louis. "Oh turns out you can come over."

Harry then gave me their address and I hung up, hopping onto my scooter. I rarely used my scooter. I was fonder of public transport but Mum had given it to me as a Christmas present last year. So I kind of had to use it.

I arrived at their complex 10 minutes later. The ice-cream had surprisingly not melted in the sun. I entered the building and walked up the stairs. No one was around and the place felt spooky. When I arrived at their level I quickly pin pointed their door. I knocked a few times before waiting for them to open it.

The door opened slowly to reveal Louis. He honestly looked like he had been run over by a car. Or maybe a truck. He looked straight at my face before looking at my now shorter hair. I watched as his eyes went wide with shock. Louis took a step towards me and gently grabbed my hair, playing with it as if it was a strange new toy he had just been given.

"You cut your hair." Louis whispered while pulling a ringlet that had fallen in front of my eyes.

"Really Louis? I didn't notice." I replied sarcastically, blowing on the strand of hair that Louis was pulling.

"Why?" He asked like a confused child

"It was heavy and kept getting in the way." I smiled, "Anyway, it's not heavy now and the curls are much more defined."

"I like it!" Louis exclaimed, smiling back at me.

"What's going on out there?" I heard Harry say as he came towards us. "Oh. Uh Louis what are you doing?"

Louis laughed slightly and let go of my hair.

"Hey you cut your hair!" Harry exclaimed, "It suits you."

"Thanks Harry." I smiled at him before realising that the ice-cream I was holding had started to get warm.

"Louis, I brought ice-cream." I held out the container and Louis took it, examining the container.

"You can come inside Rose." Louis gestured towards the door. I followed his direction to find myself in what a normal human would call Chaos.

"It's just a bit of mess." Harry laughed, "Well Liam, Niall and Zayn are going to watch a movie. I think I'll go join them." Harry smiled before closing the door.

That left a fragile Louis and me alone.  "Let's eat this Ice-cream before it completely melts." Louis chuckled as he appeared next to me with two spoons.

"Sounds like a plan."

— • —

After we demolished the tub of ice-cream Louis and I sat next to each other on the couch. Neither of us were talking and even though as much as I hated to break the peaceful silence, I felt as if this was the right time to show him the letter. I grabbed the envelope from my small bag and handed it to Louis.

"What is it?" he asked, taking the envelope from my hands.

"Read it." I turned to face Louis so I could watch his face. Louis frowned before opening it. He took the letter out of the envelope and read it slowly. His face changed from disappointment to shock and then to what I could only label as sadness.

"What happened to the dress?" Louis asked once he finished reading it

"She tore up her birthday dress and unpicked the hems." I bit my lip, trying to work out what he would say next.

"She got it all wrong." Louis whispered, handing me back the letter.

"What wrong?"

"You're not my fuck buddy or my girlfriend. You're my best friend." Louis' small smile faltered to a frown.  "It doesn't matter what she says in her pieces of paper. If I didn't love her than she'll have to learn to live with that."

"Do you think you made the right decision?" I asked him, resting my head on my arm.

Louis turned his body so he faced me. He looked pretty shaken but It'll pass. It always passes soon enough. "I hope I made the right decision. But I wish I had made that decision before asking her out. It would have saved me a lot of trouble."

I smiled and then unexpectedly Louis wrapped me up in a hug. I didn't fight it but I did let out a surprised yelp. He held on tight until I hugged him back. His lips were right next to my ear. "It's great to have my best friend back." He whispered, hugging me tighter.

"It's great to have my best friend back as well."