Chapter 10: Turning Tides

This chapter is dedicated to a cutie by the name of XxIm_nobodyxX who did me the great honor of talking to me and letting me get to know him. :D Thanks for everything, hun! Anyways, go on my lovelies. Enjoy the chapter :3 I love you all!

ALEXANDER

~*~*~

It felt like a long time before Preston finally let me up. We both moved into sitting positions, and the sight of Preston made me want to laugh. Until I spotted the damage done to the other side of the living room. A big chunk of the wall facing the backyard had been obliterated, and the window had shattered. The laughter died instantly in my throat, replaced with an impending sense of terror bubbling in my gut. I swallowed hard to try and clear the bile rising in my throat.

Looking back at Preston, he was staring at me silently, almost dazed. Why was he so calm? After what just happened, why was he looking at me like we didn't just almost lose our heads? I scowled at him and folded my arms, raising an eyebrow in challenge, "What? What are you staring at me for?"

He shrugged, his eyes then turning to search for the damage. "To your left, Pres."

"Thank you," he mumbled, glancing in that direction. I watched him squint his eyes and blink a few times, before he groaned and rubbed the back of his neck. "Lex, how bad is it?"

I grimaced in response, looking back at the gaping whole. That's when I took in the amount of debris that dusted the entire room. Preston's back was covered in a thin layer of white powder, most likely result of the exploded wall. I stood up from the floor and helped Preston to his feet as well, still taking in the aftermath, "Uh, well. There's a big hole in the wall. Tall enough I could walk through without crouching, wide enough we could walk through it side by side. And the window's damaged. The whole room is a mess, and there's a lot of debris and shattered glass."

"Jesus Christ," he breathed, and I turned just as he reached out towards me. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me roughly against him, hugging me tightly. That's when I felt his heartbeat, my head pressed against his chest. I felt it on my cheek, heard it loud and clear. On the outside he appeared to be calm, but his heart was beating at a speed I couldn't keep up with. I suddenly noticed his labored breathing, how his whole body shook slightly. He was more panicked than he let on.

I heard footsteps rushing down the stairs, and tried to pull myself from Preston's grip, but he refused to let go. Peeking over his shoulder, I spotted Sara hurrying into the room, letting out a gasp of horror at the sight. When her eyes turned to us, she gave a small surprised grunt, but nothing else.

"My God, what happened to you two?! Are you both alright? Why the hell is there a hole in the wall?" Sara rushed up to us and began to inspect, like she normally did. She started with Preston, patting him down and checking for injuries. But to my surprise, she turned and did the same to me, maneuvering my head back and forth, lifting up my shirt, stretching my arms out. When she was finished, she looked between both of us anxiously, "Are either of you hurt?"

The whole time she'd done her inspection, I'd kept my eyes on Preston, who had continued to stare blankly toward the explosion. I answered for us both, "No, Sara. We're both fine. Preston threw the grenade at the wall before it exploded. We're alright."