Chapter 3: Project 'Tame the Beast'

~Photo of Katrina Evans above~

ALEXANDER
~*~*~

Love is like taffy. Or a wad of gum. That was the conclusion I'd come to. It could be bent, chewed, twisted, and mangled in every possible way. And yet, it still existed.

More importantly, when it's lost all it's flavor, you don't know what to do with it, so it sits in your mouth growing ever more disgusting until you dispose of it. Sometimes, you don't want to lose the flavor, so you continue to shove new piece after new piece into your mouth to keep the taste from fading. But eventually, the pack is empty, and you find yourself with a giant wad of flavorless gum sitting atop your unsatisfied tongue.

Now you're left with this big, hard-to-manage wad in your mouth that signifies your denial that the gum ever lost its flavor to begin with.

That's what I believed love was in a nutshell. It was why I avoided it at all costs, why I refused to give in to any affection that fell my way.

How did I get on this subject again?

Oh yeah.

My eyes fell on the girl sprawled across the tiny sofa in my living room. I stood on the other side of the kitchen counter, stirring the contents of the pot that I was cooking atop the stove. Katrina had been in the throes of fangirling over her most recent arm candy. Her gushing romance was the catalyst to my gloomy thoughts on love.

"Honestly, Katti. You've met the guy once, and suddenly you're planning your honeymoon? Get to know him before you make such rash decisions," I scolded gently. To emphasize my advice, I pointed the dripping stirring spoon in her direction and shook it playfully, sending droplets of hot chili across the kitchen tile.

She just laughed and switched the channels on the television. "Oh, mi pajarito, love works in many different ways. I swear he's the one. He asked to see me again soon, is tomorrow too soon? Maybe it's too soon."

All I could do was roll my eyes. She was already claiming to be lovestruck by this man, and she'd only gone out with him once. Ugh, love. I didn't necessarily hate it, but love and I definitely weren't the best of friends. We had quite a history together, not all good. But my thoughts on said traitorous emotion were cut short when the sound of my cellphone ringing met my ears. I effectively wiped my hands off on my jeans and reached for the phone, but it was taken from my grasp within seconds.

"Oi? Tudo bem? Quem fala?"

Katrina grinned mercilessly at me as I shot back a scowl. I battled silently against her arms, huffing indignantly as I attempted to steal back my phone. I don't know why I expected anything less. Ever since I became a single man once again, Katrina had been hell bent on finding Mr. Right for me.

"Ah, si si. He is right here. Hold on, I'll put him on the line." When she turned to me, I stepped back and folded my arms, raising my eyebrows expectantly.

"Little pajarito, the yummy giant requests your guidance. Do you mind?" Katrina purred, handing me the phone. Yummy Giant? What the hell? Who was she talking about? Brandishing the phone from her grasp, I placed it to my ear and let out a skeptical 'hello?'