Chapter 17: The Cradle Falls

Alright, here you go guys! That last chapter was pretty intense. We're gonna slow things down a bit and actually take a blast to the past for a moment. Give you some background. I hope you enjoy. Sorry if it's a bit boring, these might be more information based rather than exciting to read. But I hope you like! As always, I am so grateful to all of you for your love and support. You guys are the best fans! <3

Picture of Alex's mom at the top! ^^^

ALEXANDER

~*~*~

It was the first of March, my birthday. I was seven today. Mama had made me a small cupcake with a little candle in it. She said we didn't have much money, but she still got me a cupcake. I loved that cupcake.

Mama's sick, but she won't tell me why. I help her around the house as much as I can. I just wanna know why she's sick.

Papa isn't very nice these days. He's never home, and when he is he just sits on the couch and doesn't speak. Mama says I'm very mature for my age. Sometimes when she tells me, she looks sad. I don't like seeing Mama so sad.

Today was my birthday, and I spent it with my Mama. She sung the birthday song and had me blow out the candle. "Go on, Alex dear. Dig in, it's all yours," she cooed. She always let me have the whole cupcake. But I always wanted to share. I broke off a crumbly piece and handed it to her. "I want you to share with me." I always said that. She would always eat it. I liked that she didn't say no. I liked to share with my Mama.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mama isn't doing well. It's been a few months since I turned seven. She hasn't gotten out of bed much. She says she's just very tired. It hurts my feelings that she won't tell me what's wrong. But I can't make her tell me. She says she's okay. She just needs sleep.

I barely go to school anymore. Mama doesn't have the strength to take me, and Papa is never home. The teacher came over the other week. She handed me a packet of homework, and said it was to help me with my growing mind. I was thankful for her. I practice all my classes on the packet once a day.

I was practicing today on the kitchen counter, which was very small. We live in a mobile home so we all sleep in the same bedroom, but I sleep on the small cot in the corner. Mama tries to keep the home very tidy, but she's been too sick. So I keep it clean for her. I had cleaned up before starting my practices.

Papa came home. He was stumbling, and looked half asleep. I usually tried to stay quiet when Papa was home because he got angry really fast.

But tonight he was already angry. He walked up to me and grabbed me by the back of the neck, turning me to look at him. The smell of booze was on his breath. I didn't really understand "booze" but that's what Mama called them, and she always said they were bad. So Papa was also sick. That's what Mama said.

He pulled my face close to his. His breath made my stomach ache. Like I might throw up, but I hadn't felt that way all day so I didn't think I needed to. He couldn't speak straight. He said something to me but I didn't understand.