Chapter 24: Through the Castle

Hecate could barely keep up with Alex. The demon quickly strode through the empty castle, with the goddex hobbling a distance behind. Since her Invidia returned, Hecate became weak again. She was unsure if it was really her own Invidia or if it was Alex's that they had given up part of for the goddex. Either way, it made Hecate feel dizzy and weak. A few times, Hecate was forced to hide behind tapestries to avoid other demons and Underlands servants. Each time she did so, she was transported to an afterlife. Some were similar, and some were even the same world. Some afterlives were larger than a galaxy and others were smaller than Abbadon's room. A few were filled with color, but a majority were lacking of color and Hecate's vision turned into black-and-white as she stepped through. Alex waited every time this happened, and did not lose the goddex. Hecate wondered how she could open the doors on the afterlife's inside. The tapestry and doors were one in the same, except in Abbadon's afterlife where there was no door. Then Hecate remembered that dead or alive she had godly blood, and therefore could escape falling into an afterlife. She tried to move faster, but she was too weak. Alex was not slowing down. On and on the two went, twisting through the labyrinth, around corners, up stairwells, doubling back to avoid unnecessary contact with Underlanders. Eventually, Alex slowed. Hecate caught up. In front of them was a large swirling mixture of earth and shadows. It was ornately decorated with beautiful gemstones and metals. It glowed brightly with many colors and reeked of rotten bodies.

"There," said Alex softly, "Go. That portal will take you anywhere. It's usually used for dispatching demons, but will help you."

"What about you?" Hecate asked.

"Somebody must take the punishment of you getting away." Alex's eyes filled with electrum yellow tears. Their horns barely glowed and their tale drooped sadly.

"Come with me." the lapis-haired goddex insisted, "I will not have you be left here to be abused any longer."

"They will notice my absence." the demon protested, "I cannot leave."

"Alex, you cannot stay here. I can help you above. You can live freely, you will be safe." Hecate's voice was stern, but cracking. Alex had tears running down their face.

"I would love nothing more than to go with you, Hecate," they said, "but I need to stay here." Hecate approached the demon, and embraced them. Hecate could feel Alex's heartbeat. Alex wished they could have felt Hecate's. Then, Hecate poured a trace of her Invidia into Alex. Running through her fingers, the violet swept through Alex's body. The demon was startled and tried to break the embrace.

"Hecate, stop! You will extinguish your Invidia again!" they cried out. Hecate did not listen.

"If it gets you out of the Underlands, then it is worth it." Hecate touched her forehead to Alex's, and the demon collapsed. Hecate fell to her knees, and watched as Alex transformed. Their body shrunk, and their horns vanished. Their tail grew larger and bushier. Electrum yellow wings sprouted from their back. When the transformation was complete, Hecate could see she had turned Alex into a fairy. Their eyes opened, and they were the same soft amber color. Then, the fairy was hit with pain. They squirmed on the warm tiled floor. Alex began to transform back into being a demon. Silver and red fur began to vanish. Their horns returned and their tail went back to its normal color, shape, and size. Once they were back to being a demon, they gave a slight smile.

"Next time you want to give me the ability to transform," Alex said, "just tell me." Hecate then grabbed Alex's hand, and jumped into the portal, the demon-fairy in tow.