Chapter 5: Dueling with Death

"Uncle, please." Hecate cried out. She had been chasing the copper-haired god around the palace for a quarter of an hour now. He was always just out of reach and did not appear to want to stop.

"Prometheus!" Hecate yelled.

The fire god slowed to a stop. Hecate caught up.

"Please, Uncle," the blue-haired goddex pleaded, "you want to help Diamandant right?"

"That is not his name," Prometheus sighed, "but yes. I cannot let Thanatos..." he did not finish the statement, but Hecate understood.

"Then let us wait until the hour is up, and if Thanatos gets anywhere near the cabin, we shall stall him."

"If your father finds out I am not training you-"

"We came down here for me to get a better mastery of earth magic. It was difficult in the Eastern Courtyard since it levitates. Besides, you can still teach me magic, we just have to make sure nobody gets close."

"Alright." The fire god agreed reluctantly.

The two walked out near to where Hecate's cabin sat. There was no notion that there was anybody inside, and Thanatos was nowhere in sight.

Hecate did not notice she still held the daisy. It was slightly wilted, though still in better shape than when it was in the mistletoe bed.

"So you have taught me that my instincts are to be trusted, and that magic is only as real as I imagine it to be. Can you teach me fire magic?" Hecate asked.

"I do not see why not." Prometheus said, "Please sit with me. He sat in the grass cross-legged. Hecate followed his example, though she tucked her legs to the side rather than cross-legged.

"Fire magic is not complicated," Prometheus started, "It feeds off emotion, and therefore is the most draining of the Invidia." He held his arm out, palm up. The copper-haired god closed his eyes and a flame popped up in his hand. He opened his eyes.

"Just like feeling where the Sun was, or conjuring those roots, imagine fire." Prometheus instructed.

Hecate closed her indigo eyes. Darkness surrounded nem. She held her right arm out, and turned it so her palm faced the sky. Hecate imagined a flame popping to life in her hand. A flame that could warm even the coldest heart on a stormy winter night. A flame that smelled of sweet smoke like the sphere the night before. A warmth spread over the young goddex's palm and she opened her eyes. A small puddle of flame pooled in her hand. It burned bright, yet did not burn her.

"I did it!" she cried joyfully.

"Impressive, my dear." Prometheus beamed.

The two gods sat in the grass for a while. Hecate practiced her magic by attempting to wrap Prometheus in vines, but the fire master just flung fire at them, burning them away. Hecate stopped when she noticed her uncle's lack of enthusiasm.

"Do not fret," she whispered, "Thanatos has only about half of the hour left." Prometheus nodded. There was still no sign of the death god. It worried both Prometheus and Hecate. Across the small field, the two gods saw Iris angrily march from the castle. Eris was on her heels, screaming at her younger sister.

"I have delayed you thus far, Iris."

Prometheus sighed, got up, and trudged over to the two godlings.

"ERIS!" he roared, "IRIS! What do you two think you are doing?" The two godlings froze in fear and looked to their uncle who had murder written all over his face.

"I want to talk to Diamandant." Iris bluntly stated. Prometheus sighed.

"No." he huffed, "I will not have you disturbing her!" The three children looked at each other with puzzled looks. Hecate spoke up.